Two dozen injured in Srinagar protests (Lead)June 19th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 19 (IANS) Over two dozen people were wounded in post-Friday prayer clashes between police and protesters in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital where separatists had asked people to march to Baramulla town.
Mobs gathered at Nowhatta, Gojiwara, Rajouri Kadal, Kawdara and some other localities of Old City after Friday prayers, resorting to heavy stone pelting at contingents of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) who had been deployed to thwart the day’s separatist march.
Police had to use batons and teargas as the protesters kept on re-grouping in the lanes and bylanes of the densely populated areas.
Over two dozen people, including three local photo-journalists, security men and protesters, were injured in these clashes.
Senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani had called for a march to Baramulla town in north Kashmir Friday to protest the rape and murder of two women, Neelofar (on Jan 22) and Asiya (Jan 17), in south Kashmir’s Shopian town last month.
Authorities had imposed restrictions under section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code in Baramulla and Sopore towns declaring an assembly of four or more people as unlawful.
Restrictions had also been imposed beyond Pattan town, 30 km from here on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway, to prevent the gathering of marchers.
Groups of urchins threw stones at police in Baramulla where authorities used restraint while tackling the protesters.
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Three dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- Two dozen injured in clashes in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 10, 2009
- Two youth injured in Srinagar, separatist march foiled (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Strike cripples life in parts of Kashmir - Jun 26, 2009
- Restrictions in Jammu and Kashmir to prevent separatist march - Jun 19, 2009
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Separatist shutdown, restrictions paralyses Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- As tensions mount, curfew imposed in Srinagar - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: asiya, batons, clashes, crpf, geelani, heavy stone, jammu, kashmir, localities, mobs, north kashmir, photo journalists, police force, protesters, reserve police, security men, separatist leader, south kashmir, teargas, two women