Two cops suspended for assault on MNS legislatorMarch 18th, 2011 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 18 (IANS) The Maharashtra government has suspended two police officials in connection with the brutal assault on Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislator Harshavardhan Jadhav in Aurangabad, Home Minister R.R. Patil said here Friday.
Patil’s announcement came in the legislative assembly as a belligerent opposition continued to attack the government over the issue for the third time since the budget session started here last Monday.
He said inspector Abhiman Pawar and sub-inspector Suryakant Kokane have been suspended for their role in the attack on the legislator last January.
Besides, an inquiry by an officer of the rank of inspector general of police would be conducted against additional superintendent of police Arvind Chavadiya and sub-inspector S. Palavade.
On Thursday, the house was adjourned thrice as opposition legislators had rushed near the Speaker and raised slogans against the government, and held Patil responsible for the incident as he handles the home portfolio.
Contending that he could have died due to the police attack on him, Jadhav demanded that the government must initiate proceedings under attempt to murder against the police personnel concerned.
The ruckus was followed by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan setting up a seven-member committee to examine the entire issue.
This committee will be headed by Patil and include Cooperatives Minister Harshwardhan Patil, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator Dilip Sopal, opposition leader Eknath Khadse (Bharatiya Janata Party), Shiv Sena group leader Subhash Desai, MNS group leader Bala Nandgaonkar and Peasants and Workers Party legislator Ganpatrao Deshmukh.
Jadhav was assaulted by policemen on security duty after he attempted to breach Chavan’s security cordon during his visit to Aurangabad in January.
The entire political spectrum in the state, cutting across party lines sympathised with Jadhav and condemned the NCP’s home minister Patil for lack of action in the matter.
- Raj Thackeray attacks NCP leaders at rally - Jan 13, 2011
- MNS dubs Chavan, Ajit Pawar, Patil '3 Idiots' of Maharashtra - Jan 17, 2011
- Chhatrapati Shivaji memorial at sea rocks legislature - Mar 15, 2012
- Maharashtra assembly disallows discussion on Pakistan panel visit - Mar 19, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Four MNS legislators' suspension revoked - Jul 12, 2010
- MNS shows fake PAN card of Maharashtra minister - Jul 26, 2011
- BJP, MNS support Jaitapur, Shiv Sena getting isolated - Apr 19, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition slams government on Kripashankar - Mar 02, 2012
- Opposition slams Maharashtra government for power cuts - Oct 11, 2011
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- MNS legislators suspended for four years (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: arvind, brutal assault, budget session, eknath, home minister, jadhav, janata party, kokane, legislative assembly, maharashtra government, member committee, nationalist congress party, ncp, opposition leader, pawar, police attack, police officials, political spectrum, security cordon, workers party