Two Congress legislators booked in PunjabMay 13th, 2009 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Moga (Punjab), May 13 (IANS) The Punjab police Wednesday booked two sitting Congress legislators in this district in polling related incidents.
Moga legislator Joginder Pal Jain was booked by the police following a complaint by Jugraj Singh who claimed that he was beaten up by the legislator and his supporters.
Jain has been booked for assault and criminal intimidation.
Another Congress legislator from Baghapurana seat, Darshan Singh Brar, was booked by the police for forcibly entering a polling station in violation of Election Commission guidelines.
The Congress is the main opposition party in the Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled state.
Moga district police chief Ashok Baath confirmed to IANS the registration of cases against both sitting Congress legislators.
“The poll process otherwise was peaceful,” Baath said.
Two media crew from a regional channel were injured after a clash in this district Wednesday morning. They alleged that they were also fired upon.
However, Baath said that no firing took place.
- Punjab, Chandigarh record 65 percent polling (Roundup) - May 13, 2009
- Punjab legislator dies - Mar 04, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- Son arrested for killing father over property dispute - Jun 26, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Akali Dal plans 'biggest' rally Sunday - Dec 17, 2011
- In Badal's 'Ram Rajya', no place for political vendetta (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP sweep Punjab civic polls (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
- Over 65 percent voting in Punjab bypoll - Jul 11, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 65 percent polling in Punjab bypoll (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: ashok, baath, bjp, brar, clash, congress, criminal intimidation, district police, election commission, jain, joginder, legislator, legislators, main opposition party, moga punjab, police chief, polling station, punjab police, regional channel, wednesday morning