Twitter, Facebook get active on Team Anna’s political ambitionsAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 2 (IANS) Social networking sites went abuzz as soon as Anna Hazare announced that his team would seek to form a “political alternative”, with many welcoming the move and some accusing Team Anna of “deceiving people”.
“People in our country are in desperate need of a political alternative… this is a great step,” tweeted Shreyasi Mukerji.
Agreed, Mayank Kumar with the tweet: “Good to hear about Team Anna’s decision to join politics. Not the quickest, but definitely a much better way to bring about the change.”
According to Rashmi Vohra, Team Anna had opened the floodgates for the “educated youth who wanted to join politics but did not have a suitable option.”
“We will soon have a clean, honest party that we can proudly become a part of. Cheers Team Anna,” Vohra posted on her Facebook wall.
However, there were some who questioned the intentions of Team Anna.
“People supported Team Anna because it was perceived as apolitical. Now it has joined politics, so shouldn’t it’s supporters oppose them too?” tweeted Santhosh Pandey.
“Team Anna has drifted from what it set out to do… they have deceived people… in the end they too are hungry for power and are thus joining politics,” posted Fauzan Umar on Facebook.
Chinmay Kulkarni tweeted that Team Anna should “push for Jan Lokpal” instead of forming a political party as it was not worth waiting 30-40 years for a corruption free India.
Some saw the announcement as a threat to the main opposition party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rather than the Congress.
“If Team Anna forms party, it will do what Chiranjeevi’s PRP (Praja Rajyam Party) did to TDP (Telugu Desam Party)… split opposition votes,” tweeted Aravind Bandarupalli.
Agreed Pulkit Arora: “Team Anna’s demand for JanLokpal was perfectly legitimate. BJP shud have supported them properly. Now it wil hav 2 face them in elections.”
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Members of disbanded Team Anna quiet - Aug 06, 2012
- It was Anna's decision to form a party: Kejriwal - Aug 12, 2012
- Team Anna has hidden agenda, says Narayanasamy - Jul 27, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- It was Anna's decision to form a political party: Kejriwal (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Our fight is for changing system, not power: Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- No consensus on Lokpal bill at all-party meeting (Intro Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
- Anyone can float a political party: BJP - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna disbanded, says Anna Hazare (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Hegde opposes Hazare move to float political party - Aug 03, 2012
- No consensus at all-party meet on Lokpal bill (Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, aug 2, cheers, chiranjeevi, congress, corruption, desperate need, educated youth, floodgates, free india, main opposition party, New Delhi, political ambitions, praja, prp, shud, social networking sites, suitable option, tweet, umar