Twitter abuzz over Gilani’s convictionApril 26th, 2012 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 26 (IANS) Microblogging site Twitter was abuzz soon after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani was convicted Thursday by the Supreme Court. A tweet said: “We need to respect & protect democratic values, not the individuals.”
Maleeha Manzoor tweeted that Gilani appeared before the court, “respecting the judiciary and constitution, like a democratic chief executive”.
Gilani was Thursday morning convicted for contempt of court by the Supreme Court that gave him a 30-second symbolic sentence for refusing to write to Swiss authorities to reopen a corruption case against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Shabbir Hussain Imam spoke up against dynastic politics, tweeting: “Pakistan May Allah protect Pakistan from dynasties. We need to respects & protect democratic values, not the individuals.”
Saad Khan was quite critical when he alleged: “President Zardari to reward PM Gilani by gifting him one of his Swiss Bank Accounts.”
Chahat tweeted a couplet to drive home the point: “Iss Dour K Rasam Rawajo se,Insaaf K Pehre Darun Se,Khoon Se Lipti Adalat Se..Baghi Hon Mein Baghi Hon Ju Chahe Muj pe Zulm karo”.
Morial Shah, however, felt that people will now decide on the Gilani government, saying: “History and the court of the people will vindicate #FightForPakistaniDemocracy”.
- Gilani convicted: Imran Khan plans `tsunami march' - Apr 27, 2012
- A first for Pakistan: Gilani indicted for contempt (Evening Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Gilani says he quit respecting judiciary - Jul 01, 2012
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani to appear before Supreme Court for sentencing - Apr 25, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt of court - Apr 26, 2012
- First for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Ordinance to protect Gilani's actions challenged - Jun 26, 2012
- Gilani vows to protect constitution - May 13, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani indicted for contempt (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Kayani wants democracy to continue in Pakistan - May 01, 2012
- Gilani offers to quit after apex court contempt notice (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, contempt of court, corruption case, couplet, democratic values, dynasties, hussain, imam, judiciary, karo, muj, raza, shabbir, swiss authorities, swiss bank, thursday morning, tweet, twitter, yousuf, zulm