Tweeting gives a sense of mission, says Nirupama RaoMarch 8th, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 8 (IANS) Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao says she feels “a sense of mission” to post responses to public queries on the microblogging website Twitter, a growing trend that she thinks is good for the system and the country.
Rao has been tweeting since Feb 11 and has earned wide praise and support for breaking the communication barriers between the ministry of external affairs and ordinary people by replying to anxious relatives of those stranded in Libya and of Indian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates.
Asked by NDTV how she decided to join Twitter when her ministry is said to work under a veil of secrecy, Rao said the times had changed and there was a need to address the constituency of young tech savvy people in the era of round-the-clock news channels and social media like Facebook and Twitter.
“We live in an age where communication has to be done in real time and we should be able to, in a sense, put our word out. It’s distinctly different from the time I joined the foreign service three decades ago,” she said.
“So I just felt that getting your word out and putting things in perspective is so important. I feel a sense of mission for this because I think it is good for the system. It is good for the country,” Rao pointed out.
She was also asked if External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna had changed his mind about the Twitter, given the fact he was unhappy with his former junior colleague Shashi Tharoor’s Twitter comments.
She said: “I think it is about the message you put out. I’ve just stuck to foreign policy issues and I try to use the language that people use. In an instant, in a flash your message gets out. It is a very powerful medium if used judiciously.”
- Now, foreign secretary Rao on Twitter - Feb 11, 2011
- Foreign ministry embraces social media - Mar 16, 2011
- Shashi Tharoor to speak at public diplomacy conference - Dec 08, 2010
- India, Pakistan agree on cross-Kashmir linkages, set positive tone (Evening Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Tech savvy politicos bat for social media - Apr 21, 2011
- India rising: Creating a platform for foreign relations experts - Dec 24, 2010
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Nirupama Rao breaks barrier, tweets on Libya and other crises - Mar 02, 2011
- Elements in Pakistani state back terror: India (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Nirupama Rao launches MEA website, says 'Web' is a tool of great empowerment - Dec 25, 2010
- India, Pakistan hope to move forward, finalise CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Conference on Information Age in public diplomacy to highlight impact of 24x7 media - Dec 09, 2010
- Joan Collins has become 'addicted' to Twitter - Dec 21, 2010
- Indians in Libya safe: Government (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,