‘Turkey ready to play role in Iran-US relations’February 24th, 2009 - 6:50 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Feb 24 (DPA) Iran has asked Turkey to play a role in bringing Tehran and Washington together to discuss mutual concerns, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday night.
“We have said this before: we are ready. Iran wants us to play a role,” Erdogan said in a panel interview during a flight to Ankara, after local election campaigning in the southeastern city of Mardin.
Erdogan said he had told former US president George W. Bush of Iran’s overture but had yet to discuss the matter with new US President Barack Obama.
The new US administration has hinted that it is ready for some kind of negotiations with Iran concerning Tehran’s nuclear programme, as well as opening talks on topics such as the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.
NATO-member Turkey is a key US ally in the region and has recently tried to play a more active role in the Middle East. Turkey was host to indirect peace talks between Israel and Syria, which were suspended following Israel’s military operations in the Gaza Strip.
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- Iran wants n-talks in Istanbul - Mar 30, 2012
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- Israeli envoy in Turkey summoned - Aug 03, 2010
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama's secret message: Iran can have civilian n-programme - Apr 07, 2012
- US 'supporting' international terrorists: Turkish PM - Oct 15, 2010
- Flotilla raid: US trying to placate Turkey without condemning Israel - Jun 02, 2010
- An Islamabad-Istanbul train that will traverse 6,500 km - Apr 18, 2011
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Turkish PM says they will not remain silent if Israel attacks Lebanon - Nov 26, 2010
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Turkey ready to broker cease-fire over fears Libya may turn into "second Iraq or Afghanistan" - Mar 28, 2011
- Indians safe in quake-hit Turkey - Oct 24, 2011
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: ally, ankara, barack obama, dpa, election campaigning, gaza strip, george w bush, military operations, monday night, mutual concerns, nato member, panel interview, peace talks, president george w bush, prime minister recep tayyip erdogan, recep tayyip erdogan, southeastern city, tehran, turkish prime minister, us president george