Trucker who hit Mamata’s convoy granted bailAugust 25th, 2010 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 25 (IANS) A West Bengal court Wednesday granted interim bail to a driver whose truck hit the convoy of Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee while she was returning here from a rally Aug 9.
Gurjant Singh was granted interim bail on payment of Rs.5,000 as surety till Sep 8 by the chief magistrate court in Tamluk town of East Midnapore district.
The driver’s lawyer Ashok Dinda said: “Gurjant was given interim bail on the condition that he will not move out of the state and present himself once a week at the headquarters of the criminal investigation department (CID).”
“Gurjant was Wednesday granted bail after the documents and the reports of the vehicle’s mechanical tests failed to substantiate any of the allegations levelled against him,” said the lawyer.
Singh’s bail plea was earlier rejected Aug 23 as police did not submit the case documents, he added.
The driver was arrested Aug 9 following a complaint lodged by Trinamool MP Subhendhu Adhikari and released on bail the very next day.
After Trinamool leaders alleged that the accident was an attempt on Banerjee’s life, the state government engaged the CID to probe the matter.
The CID rearrested Singh Aug 11 and he was subsequently remanded to CID custody for 12 days by the Tamluk court. He was remanded to judicial custody after he was presented in court Aug 23.
The truck hit the car of Intelligence Bureau (IB) officials in the convoy. Their car, in turn, hit the minister’s vehicle at Kolaghat, injuring an officer. The minister was returning from a rally in Lalgarh.
- Bail plea of trucker who hit Mamata's convoy rejected - Aug 23, 2010
- Bail of trucker who hit Mamata convoy extended - Sep 08, 2010
- CID probe ordered into Mamata convoy mishap - Aug 11, 2010
- Former CPI-M lawmaker, aides sent to 3 days' CID custody - Mar 20, 2012
- Car breaches Rahul Gandhi's convoy - Sep 07, 2010
- Mamata's convoy hit by lorry, IB man injured - Aug 10, 2010
- Mamata complains of chest pain after convoy hit by lorry - Aug 10, 2010
- Bail granted for 8 accused in LIC housing loan scam - Dec 04, 2010
- Mamata's nephew gets bail - Mar 02, 2012
- Ex-minister gets 10-day judicial remand in skeleton case - Aug 20, 2011
- Arrested Bengal ex-minister to fast against 'vindictive' government - Aug 17, 2011
- Bail denied to suspended cop in Dara Singh killing - Mar 02, 2012
- Former CPI-M MP, aides jailed for Nandigram violence - Mar 27, 2012
- Abhishek Verma faces arrest for money laundering - Aug 21, 2012
- Skeleton case: Bengal ex-minister's custody extended (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: ashok, bail plea, case documents, chief magistrate, convoy, criminal investigation department, criminal investigation department cid, dinda, intelligence bureau, judicial custody, magistrate court, mamata banerjee, mechanical tests, midnapore district, railway minister, state government, surety, trinamool congress, trucker, west bengal