TRS rejects terms of reference of Srikrishna panelFebruary 12th, 2010 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 12 (IANS) The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) has rejected the terms of reference announced by the central government Friday for the five member Justice B.N. Srikrishna committee looking into the issue of statehood for Telangana.
TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao, whose 11-day fast in December had forced the central government to announce that the process for formation of Telangana state would be initiated, said the terms of reference were unacceptable to people of Telangana.
“The centre has once again betrayed the people of Telangana. The terms of reference are not acceptable to us. We will continue the agitation and insist on acceptance of our resignations,” the MP from Mahabubnagar told reporters.
The all-party Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Telangana will hold an emergency meeting Friday evening to chalk outs its course of action.
The JAC, hoping that the terms of reference would be to lay a roadmap for carving out Telangana state with a clear time-frame, said New Delhi’s announcement had disappointed the leaders.
“How can the centre equate the demand for Telangana state with the demand for unified Andhra?” asked JAC convenor M. Kodandaram.
The terms of reference include examining the demands of a separate state of Telangana as well as the demands for maintaining the present status of a united Andhra Pradesh.
A statement by the home ministry said that the committee would submit its report by Dec 31.
“Having a time-frame is no reason for accepting the terms of reference,” said Kodandaram.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state president Bandaru Dattatreya said the central government had once again put the Telangana issue in cold storage.
The Osmania University students JAC has also rejected the terms of reference. The student leaders said separate state could be achieved only through a struggle.
- TRS rejects Srikrishna panel's terms of reference (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- It's back to shutdown, resignations over Telangana (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2010
- Telangana leaders reject ToR, ask MPs MLAs to resign - Feb 12, 2010
- Telangana protests hit road transport, hundreds detained - Jan 17, 2011
- Cook-and-eat agitation in Hyderabad for Telangana state (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Osmania University students call off fast - Jul 14, 2011
- Osmania students begin fast, clash with police (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Telangana leaders reject panel terms; TRS MPs, MLAs to quit (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Telangana shuts down to protest Srikrishna panel guidelines - Feb 13, 2010
- Telangana groups observe 1st anniversary of centre's announcement - Dec 09, 2010
- Andhra Pradesh remains peaceful barring minor incidents (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- TRS defers decision on resignations over Telangana tussle - Feb 13, 2010
- Clashes continue in Osmania University, protests rock Telangana (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Telangana groups to launch non-cooperation movement Feb 17 - Feb 05, 2011
- Telangana groups call for protests at Srikrishna visit - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: action committee, agitation, andhra pradesh, central government, cold storage, dattatreya, friday evening, home ministry, jac, osmania university, rao, resignations, roadmap, state president, statehood, student leaders, telangana, terms of reference, trs, university students