TRS MP Vijayashanti jailed for provocative remarks (Lead)July 3rd, 2010 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 3 (IANS) Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) leader and MP Vijayashanti was arrested Saturday for making inflammatory remarks ahead of the July 27 by-elections in Telangana. A city court sent her to 14 days judicial custody.
The actress-turned-politician, arrested from Road Number 3 Banjara Hills near her residence, was produced before the third additional chief metropolitan magistrate at the Nampally Criminal Court.
The magistrate remanded her to judicial custody till July 15. She was then shifted to Chanchalguda central jail here and lodged in the special prison for women.
The Medak MP was Friday booked for promoting animosity and hatred among people.
The TRS leader, while addressing party workers a few days ago, had called upon people in Telangana to “slay” anyone who opposed formation of a Telangana state.
Vijayashanti told the magistrate that she would not move a bail petition. She also complained that a police official misbehaved with her while arresting her.
Before being taken inside the jail, she told reporters that no policewoman was present when she was arrested.
Stating that she has not committed any crime, the MP said she would not move a bail petition and her party would take the issue to the people.
Earlier, tension prevailed near her residence in Banjara Hills as police used force to disperse TRS workers who gathered there to resist her arrest.
Vijayashanti, who went into hiding Friday after police filed a case against her reportedly on the directions of the Election Commission, was taken into custody by police while leaving for Siddipet in Medak.
The actress, known as Lady Amitabh for her roles in Telugu movies, had heated arguments with police officials.
“I was in my house throughout the night and even this morning but you did not come. Now you are arresting me on the road,” the MP told them.
TRS workers raised slogans against the police, who had a tough time controlling the crowd.
Congress legislator T. Jayaprakash Reddy was also arrested for making provocative remarks. He represents Siddipet assembly, a part of Medak Lok Sabha constituency.
Reddy, arrested in Sangareddy, will be produced before a magistrate, police said.
- TRS MP Vijayashanti arrested, released on bail (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- MP Vijayashanti arrested for provocative remarks - Jul 03, 2010
- MP Vijayashanti goes into hiding as police hunt for her - Jul 02, 2010
- Poll panel censures TRS MP Vijayashanti - Jul 09, 2010
- Vijayashanti participates in Advani's yatra - Oct 19, 2011
- Osmania University still tense, TRS MP arrested - Jan 08, 2011
- Violence in Telangana as TRS chief jailed ahead of 'fast-unto-death' (Third lead) - Nov 29, 2009
- Telangana town tense as YSR Congress, TRS workers clash - Jul 23, 2012
- Vijayamma's fast in Telangana concludes amid protests - Jul 23, 2012
- Telangana MP sent to jail - Oct 16, 2011
- For Andhra's Lady Amitabh, screen image comes in handy - Apr 07, 2009
- TRS chief arrested ahead of 'fast unto death' - Nov 29, 2009
- Janardhana Reddy's custody extended till Oct 31 - Oct 17, 2011
- Hearing on Janardhana Reddy's bail plea after a week (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Andhra legislator held for poll code violation - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: amitabh, animosity, banjara hills, central jail, criminal court, election commission, inflammatory remarks, judicial custody, magistrate, medak, number 3, police official, police officials, policewoman, politician, slogans, telangana, telugu movies, trs, vijayashanti