Trouble likely in quota bill passage, PM meets ministersSeptember 5th, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) Hinting at trouble in getting the promotion quota bill passed in parliament, the government Wednesday said there is little time during the monsoon session, with the prime minister reviewing the situation along with home and defence ministers.
“There is little time left in this session of parliament… Let us see tomorrow (Thursday),” Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters as he ventured out of a review meeting called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
When asked when the bill will get passed, now that it was in the Rajya Sabha, Shinde said: “Our intention was clear. The prime minister and Congress president had wanted this bill to ensure social justice.”
The Samajwadi Party (SP) has opposed the constitution amendment bill to provide for quotas to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in promotions in government jobs cleared by the union cabinet Tuesday in its present form and has sought similar quotas for Other Backward Classes.
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) though wants the bill passed as introduced in the Rajya Sabha.
Ruckus broke out in the parliament’s upper house earlier in the day when the bill was introduced by Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy resulting in a scuffle between an SP and a BSP member.
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- All-party meeting on promotion quota Aug 21 - Aug 09, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, castes, congress president, constitution amendment bill, defence ministers, government jobs, home minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, monsoon session, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, promotion quota, quota bill, rajya sabha, reviewing the situation, Samajwadi Party, sushilkumar shinde, union cabinet