Tripura’s special package for MuslimsMay 23rd, 2012 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 23 (IANS) Months ahead of assembly polls, Tripura’s Left Front government Wednesday announced a package for Muslims for their all-round development.
The elections are due in February next year.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar told reporters here: “On the basis of a government study on Muslims, the package was formulated and will be implemented in a phase manner.”
This, he said, was aimed at improving infrastructure in Muslim concentrated villages and areas.
“Under the package, health, education, drinking water, roads, electricity and irrigation besides other infrastructure would be developed in 151 villages or habitats across Tripura,” Sarka added.
Also under the package, finalised in Tuesday’s cabinet meeting, livelihood scope will also be provided to those unemployed Muslim youths.
According to the 2001 census, Muslims comprise eight percent of Tripura’s 3.7 million population.
The chief minister said the Left Front government had earlier announced special package for tribals, Dalits and other backward class communities.
- There'll be no remote areas in Tripura: Manik Sarkar - Jul 18, 2012
- CPI-M to launch stir for reserving jobs for Muslims - Feb 26, 2012
- Pradip Kumar Sarkar appointed Tripura Lokayukta - Dec 13, 2011
- Tripura to put all ranks of officials under Lokayukta - Mar 02, 2012
- Ambitious plans for Muslims ahead of Tripura polls - Feb 29, 2012
- Northeast needs more government initiatives: Tripura chief minister - Sep 24, 2011
- Pranab to meet finance ministers from northeast - Jun 03, 2012
- States being forced to accept RTE: Tripura - Jan 09, 2012
- Conspiracy against Tripura's Left government: Manik Sarkar - Dec 05, 2011
- Tripura told to attract private funds for infrastructure - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Tripura rehabilitating surrendered extremists' - Mar 06, 2012
- Mizo party chief praises Tripura's 'success stories' - Mar 15, 2012
- Motivate rebels to join mainstream, Sarkar urges people - Oct 27, 2010
- Pranab mulls special package for northeast - Jun 07, 2012
- UPA neglecting states ruled by opposition: Tripura minister - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: agartala, assembly polls, cabinet meeting, census, chief minister, class communities, drinking water, electricity, finalised, government study, habitats, health education, irrigation, livelihood, manik, muslim youths, muslims, sarka, sarkar, tripura