Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on HasinaJanuary 12th, 2012 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 12 (IANS) Indian Vice President Hamid Ansari Thursday conferred an honorary doctorate of Tripura University on Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
“I am extremely grateful to the university and the people of Tripura for giving me such a prestigious honour,” said Hasina, who arrived in Tripura Wednesday on a two-day maiden visit.
As Ansari conferred the honorary Doctor of Literature (honoris causa) on Hasina at the university’s ninth convocation, the packed hall greeted the Bangladeshi prime minister with a standing ovation and prolonged applause.
Hasina said: “The honour will inspire me to work more for the people of the (South Asian) region.”
Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipumoni said: “By honouring the Bangladesh prime minister, the Tripura University has brought the people of the two countries closer.”
“This is for the first time that the Tripura University has conferred the honorary D.Litt on any person after the university was set up in 1987,” Vice Chancellor Arunoday Saha told IANS.
Federation of Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry president A.K. Azad, who accompanied the visiting prime minister, said: “This honorary D.Litt has not only honoured Hasina, it honoured the entire 16 crore people of Bangladesh.”
This is the second time an Indian university has conferred an honorary D.Litt on Hasina. The 64-year-old Bangladesh leader was conferred the honour by Visva-Bharati University in West Bengal Jan 28, 1999.
She was also conferred an honorary Doctor of Laws for distinguished creative contribution to society by the Australian National University. The Dhaka University honoured her in similar fashion.
She was awarded UNESCO’s Houphouet-Boigny Peace Prize in 1998 for her contribution to bring peace by ending the 25 years of conflict in Chittagong Hill Tracts with political courage and statesmanship.
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- Tripura university to set up Bangladesh Study Centre - Jan 25, 2012
- Bangladesh PM to visit Tripura - Sep 11, 2011
- Bangladesh prime minister to visit Tripura in September - Apr 11, 2010
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- Tripura airport being upgraded for Hasina's visit - Jan 06, 2012
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Bangladesh PM in Tripura to revive historic, economic ties - Jan 11, 2012
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Security tightened along Agartala border ahead of Hasina visit - Jan 08, 2012
- Security tightened along Tripura border ahead of Hasina's visit (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- PM confers honorary doctorate on Azim Premji - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: agartala, chittagong hill tracts, creative contribution, dhaka university, doctor of laws, hamid ansari, hasina, honorary doctor, honorary doctorate, houphouet boigny, maiden visit, peace prize, political courage, prestigious honour, south asian region, standing ovation, statesmanship, vice chancellor, visva bharati university, west bengal