Tripura to get more administrative blocks: Chief ministerOctober 27th, 2011 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Oct 27 (IANS) The Left Front government in Tripura has decided to create four new districts, six subdivisions and five rural development blocks to take the administration closer to people, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said here Thursday.
“For rapid socio-economic development of the minorities, tribals, Scheduled Castes and other needy people, the Left Front government is firmly committed to providing basic services to these (disadvantaged) people,” Sarkar told reporters.
He said: “From the next statehood day on Jan 21 (next year), the new administrative setups will start functioning.”
The main opposition Congress has welcomed the Left government’s decision, though it says it is politically motivated.
“Targeting the 2013 assembly elections, the Left Front government after observing that their popularity is declining, has taken this reform measure to lure voters,” opposition leader Ratan Lal Nath told reporters.
In the new setup, the number of districts would be raised to eight, and the number of subdivisions and blocks to 23 and 45 respectively.
“Despite the state government’s severe financial crisis, the government took this pro-people decision to decentralise governance, take the administration closer to people and provide vital services to them within the quickest possible time,” Sarkar said.
According to the chief minister, for beginning the new administrative setup, an additional Rs.6 crore would be required.
After Tripura’s statehood Jan 21, 1972, this is the second reform of the administrative setup.
- New districts, sub-divisions and blocks for Tripura - Dec 28, 2011
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly - Sep 05, 2011
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Tripura lawmaker nailed for false Scheduled Caste tag - Aug 07, 2012
- Tripura to appoint Lokayukta this month - Nov 17, 2011
- Tripura appoints new information commissioners - Jan 14, 2011
- UPA neglecting states ruled by opposition: Tripura minister - Oct 12, 2011
- Bedlam in Tripura assembly over July protests - Sep 02, 2011
- Tripura legislator accused of faking caste certificate - Aug 09, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Tripura seeks fiscal package of Rs.14,600 crore - Nov 15, 2011
- Tripura announces holiday to mourn Left leader - Jun 07, 2011
- Congress leaders fast in Tripura - Feb 09, 2012
- Parties call for 12-hour Tripura shutdown Wednesday - Jul 12, 2011
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,