Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya celebrate 41st statehood dayJanuary 21st, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala/Imphal, Jan 21 (IANS) Three northeastern states — Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya — celebrated their 41st statehood day Saturday with colourful functions and numerous programmes.
“Under the North Eastern Region (reorganisation) Act, 1971, Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya became full-fledged states Jan 21, 1972,” Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said at the celebration function in Agartala.
“To develop the northeastern states at par with the mainland states, much remains to be done, be it in terms of economic development or rooting out terrorism,” he added.
“With militancy on the wane, Tripura is witnessing rapid industrialisation in sectors like natural gas, forestry, rubber besides development in horticulture, agriculture, health and education,” Sarkar said.
The erstwhile princely states of Tripura and Manipur merged with India in 1949 and became union territories before getting the status of full-fledged states. Meghalaya was formed as an autonomous state April 2, 1970, after being carved out of Assam and then became a full-fledged state.
Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat said in Imphal that no one can deny the fact that the state is lagging behind other developed states of the country as far as overall development is concerned.
“There is the need to catch up on lost opportunities and hasten the process of growth and development in Manipur. Development can be accelerated only when there is complete peace and harmony,” the governor said.
Without referring to the activities of the separatist outfits, he said: “Everyone should contribute their best in achieving peace and stability in Manipur.”
- Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya celebrate statehood day - Jan 22, 2010
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Northeast defies militant boycott calls on R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Bifurcate Assam-Meghalaya joint cadre too: Meghalaya legislators - Sep 06, 2012
- Parties demand President's Rule in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 14, 2011
- Three northeast states could get own high courts soon - Nov 27, 2011
- Prices soar in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 23, 2011
- Separate high courts to be set up in northeastern states - Mar 02, 2011
- Chidambaram appeals for suspension of Manipur blockade - Oct 31, 2011
- Northeast ignores rebels' R-Day boycott call (Second Lead, With Images) - Jan 26, 2010
- Rahul to visit northeast next week - Nov 03, 2011
- Chidambaram to review law and order in Tripura, Mizoram - May 16, 2011
- Lalit Kala Akademi to reach out to northeast - Feb 02, 2012
- Northeast parties back Telangana state demand - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: assam, autonomous state, chief minister, forestry, growth and development, horticulture, imphal, jagat, jan 21, mainland states, manipur, militancy, natural gas, northeastern states, peace and harmony, peace and stability, princely states, rapid industrialisation, statehood day, union territories