Tripura gives land deeds to tribalsJanuary 18th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 18 (IANS) Tripura has become the first state in eastern India to hand over ownership rights of forest land to tribal people.”After the enactment of the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (recognition of forest rights) Act, 2005 by the Centre, the long cherished dreams of tribal people and traditional forest dwellers have been fulfilled after granting ‘Patta’ (title deed) of the land on which they had been residing for years,” Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar said Saturday.
Sarkar distributed land deeds among tribals, who account for about 33 percent of Tripura’s 3.2 million-population.
“The three Left front-ruled states - West Bengal, Kerala and Tripura - petitioned the Supreme Court against a case submitted before the apex court to block the enforcement of the historical land rights act,” Sarkar told a gathering after handing over a ‘Patta’ to a 72-year-old tribal woman Rabirung Rupini at Mandai, 22 km north of here.
The chief minister also suggested providing similar land rights to the non-tribal people who are also residing in forest areas for generations. Out of land claims of 126,000 tribal and forest dwellers, 22,000 claims were found valid of which 11,500 have been settled.
“I have asked the officials to settle those claims with a sympathetic approach as the tribal people are getting forest land rights after hundreds of years,” Sarkar said.
- Help sought for tribals' livelihood plans in Tripura - Nov 16, 2011
- Land rights in forests: Tripura wants norms relaxed - Sep 19, 2009
- Left wants forest land norms relaxed for non-tribals - Apr 01, 2011
- Tripura mulls reserving jobs for Muslims - Apr 18, 2011
- CPI-M to launch stir for reserving jobs for Muslims - Feb 26, 2012
- CPI-M plans agitation against land acquisition act - Apr 22, 2011
- UPA working for 'khaas aadmi', not 'aam aadmi', says CPI-M - Aug 09, 2009
- 'Better connectivity of northeast India with rest of world is crucial' - Sep 24, 2010
- New norms to improve forest rights act - Jul 13, 2012
- Focus more on schools than on higher education: Digvijay Singh tells Sibal - Sep 12, 2010
- Anti-POSCO protesters burn effigy of officials - Apr 15, 2011
- Japan aiding 11 forest project in India (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Japan's aid to India's environment - Jun 22, 2011
- Orissa gets final nod for Posco project (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh tops in forest rights - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: apex court, chief minister, eastern india, enactment, forest areas, forest dwellers, forest land, hundreds of years, kerala, land deeds, land rights act, mandai, manik, rupini, sarkar, sympathetic approach, title deed, traditional forest, tribal woman, west bengal