Tripura CM condoles Lakshmi Sehgal’s deathJuly 23rd, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, July 23 (IANS) Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and his Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Monday expressed deep shock over the death of veteran freedom fighter Lakshmi Sehgal.
“The downtrodden people of India have lost one of their most dependable and real warrior of their causes,” said Sarkar in his condolence message to Sehgal’s daughter and former Lok Sabha member Subhashini Ali.
“She became undoubtedly a legendary figure in the history of India’s independence struggle through her brilliant and undaunted performance as a captain of Azad Hind Fauj or Indian National Army,” he added.
The CPI-M said that Sehgal had visited Tripura on a number of occasions and stood behind the distressed people this state.
“The slain freedom fighter had sought the help of Supreme Court after a mass rape of seven tribal women in Tripura allegedly by soldiers in 1988 in western Tripura’s Ujanmaidan,” a party statement added.
The CPI-M flag was flying half mast in all its offices across Tripura Monday in respect for the departed leader.
- Lakshmi Sehgal's health deteriorates - Jul 21, 2012
- Vice President, PM condole Lakshmi Sehgal's death - Jul 23, 2012
- Veteran freedom fighter Lakshmi Sehgal dead (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Lakshmi Sehgal critical after brain stroke - Jul 20, 2012
- CPI-M Tripura legislator dead - Mar 10, 2012
- Communist leader, 106, dead - Mar 03, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Tripura announces holiday to mourn Left leader - Jun 07, 2011
- Lakshmi Sehgal was courageous, compassionate: CPI-M - Jul 23, 2012
- CPI-M for more women members - Feb 01, 2012
- Efforts on to revive terrorism in Tripura: Sarkar - Aug 15, 2012
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: ali, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, condolence message, CPI, freedom fighter, history of india, independence struggle, indian national army, lakshmi sehgal, legendary figure, lok sabha member, lost one, mass rape, mast, occasions, sarkar, shock, tribal women