Trinamool wins both seats in Bengal assembly by-pollsJune 15th, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 15 (IANS) West Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) Friday retained the Daspur and Bankura assembly seats where by-polls were held Tuesday.
However, the Trinamool’s winning margin has come down in both the constituencies compared to the results in the assembly polls last year. In Bankura constituency in Bankura district, Trinamool candidate Minati Mishra humbled her nearest rival Nilanjan Dasgupta of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) by 1,51,39 votes. In 2011, Trinamool nominee Kashinath Mishra had won the seat by trouncing his CPI-M opponent by over 30,000 votes. Minati is Kashinath’s widow.
Trinamool’s Mamata Bhunia was elected from Daspur in West Midnapore district by bagging over 19,000 votes more than CPI-M’s Samar Mukherjee. Last year, Mamata’a husband Ajit Bhunia had won the constituency on a Trinamool ticket with a margin of 25,927 votes. The assembly constituencies fell vacant following the deaths of Ajit Bhunia and Kashinath Mishra.
- Large voter turnout in Bengal by-polls - Jun 12, 2012
- Left Front announces candidates for Bengal by-polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- By-polls in two Bengal assembly constituencies June 12 - Apr 25, 2012
- Bengal assembly adjourned following Trinamool legislator's death - Mar 19, 2012
- West Bengal polls enter fifth phase Saturday - May 06, 2011
- Bengal polls: Campaigning for fifth phase ends - May 05, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Mamata wins by-poll, Trinamool snatches Basirhat-Uttar - Sep 28, 2011
- From marginal to mammoth wins, Bengal polls saw it all - May 15, 2011
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Peaceful voting in Bengal's Maoist-hit districts (Second Lead) - May 07, 2011
Tags: ajit, assembly constituencies, assembly polls, assembly seats, bankura, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress, constituency, CPI, dasgupta, deaths, mamata, midnapore district, opponent, samar, tmc, west bengal