Trinamool to vote for Pranab Mukherjee (Second Lead)July 17th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) The Trinamool Congress will vote for UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee in Thursday’s presidential election, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced Tuesday.
Terming the decision to support Mukherjee as a sad and tough one, Banerjee said her party tilted in his favour as Trinamool was not willing to waste its votes.
“We have decided to support Pranab Mukherjee keeping in mind the alliance we have,” Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat after a meeting with her parliamentary and legislature leaders.
The chief minister said she had informed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the decision. “I told him you will be happy to know we have decided to vote for Pranab Mukherjee.”
She added: “It is our unanimous decision. In the interest of the people, democracy … we have decided to vote for him.
“Taking the decision was tough. Had (former president) A.P.J Kalam agreed to be in the race, we would have supported him. Nobody forced my hand. I have not taken my decision by bowing down to any pressure.”
Banerjee had earlier snubbed Mukherjee by rooting for Abdul Kalam, who declined to contest.
“We have not taken this decision from the core of our heart. Keeping in mind the people of this state and the constraints of the alliance we have decided to support Pranab.
“If we had taken it from our hearts then we would have laughed out while announcing our decision. It is a decision driven by our commitment towards democracy, people,” she said.
Banerjee became emotional during the press conference as she stated that she didn’t have any talk with Mukherjee for the last eight months.
“I don’t know what happened but we have not spoken with each other for last eight months. The prime minister calls me up frequently, we do have conversations. I do have contacts with Sonia Gandhi.
“But I didn’t have any conversations with Pranabda. I don’t know why,” she said.
- Trinamool to vote for Pranab Mukherjee (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Trinamool takes 'painful' decision to back Pranab (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Pranab welcomes Trinamool decision - Jul 17, 2012
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Ready to leave government if unwanted: Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- FDI decision suspended pending consensus: Mamata quotes Pranab - Dec 03, 2011
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Mamata logs on to Facebook to canvass for Kalam - Jun 16, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- FDI decision suspended pending consensus: Mamata quotes Pranab (Second Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Trinamool to convince Kalam, ready to leave UPA if needed (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Not the best of times for Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, chief minister, constraints, eight months, favour, former president, july 17, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, pranab mukherjee, presidential election, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, secretariat, sonia gandhi, state secretariat, trinamool congress, unanimous decision, west bengal