Trinamool MPs vote against government bill; Bansal calls BanerjeeMay 7th, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) Trinamool Congress members Monday voted against a government bill in the Lok Sabha, prompting Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal to take up the matter with party chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Bansal told mediapersons he had spoken to Banerjee and indicated that there could have been a “mix-up” on the part of Trinamool MPs.
He said Banerjee told him that she had not asked party MPs to vote against the bill - to amend the Indian Medical Council act to extend the tenure of its board of governors - and will look into the matter.
Bansal said the Trinamool members did not intend to vote against the bill but made a mistake.
Minister of State for Health and Trinamool Congress leader Sudip Bandopadhyay was not present in the house at the time of voting.
The bill was later passed following a division.
- Parliament passes MCI amendment bill - May 10, 2012
- Trinamool talks tough, threatens to oppose policies in parliament - Mar 09, 2012
- Ready to leave government if unwanted: Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Trinamool to oppose UPA's anti-people policies in parliament - Feb 29, 2012
- Trinamool to convince Kalam, ready to leave UPA if needed (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Mamata bashing unites BJP, Left in Lok Sabha - Aug 10, 2010
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Mamata's rally in Lalgarh - Aug 09, 2010
- Congress reaches out to allies, but Mamata snubs again (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Will move amendment on Lokpal: Trinamool - Dec 29, 2011
- Rail budget row: Congress keeps options open, Trivedi set to go (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2012
- Congress mocks Trinamool desire to go it alone in 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- Trinamool demands fare hike roll-back, hints at Congress hand (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- 187 amendments played spoiler to Lokpal bill: Government (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Bengal parties on foundation stone-laying, inauguration spree - Feb 27, 2011
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, bansal, board of governors, chief minister, congress leader, congress members, government bill, indian medical council, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, minister of state, mistake, mps vote, New Delhi, parliamentary affairs, party chief, sudip, tenure, trinamool congress, west bengal