Trinamool MLA clarifies ’short skirt’ remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead)July 28th, 2012 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 28 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday refused to comment on a statement made by actor and Trinamool Congress legislator Chiranjeet that short dresses worn by women were one of the reasons behind the increase in incidents of harassment.
“I don’t know anything about it,” Banerjee said when asked to comment on the statement made by her party MLA.
However, after facing criticism, Chiranjeet tried to clarify his statement.
“I had said that keeping in mind the well-being of the teenaged girls. The comments are nothing but reflections of the concerns that a father, elder brother or a guardian has regarding their teenage daughters or sisters,” he said.
Earlier in the day, Chiranjeet aka Dipak Chakraborty, the legislator from Barasat in North 24-Parganas, had said that short dresses worn by women are one of the main reasons behind the increase in incidents of harassment of women in his constituency.
His comments came a day after a girl was harassed in the area.
“Eve-teasing is a very old thing. It has been going on for ages. One of the reasons behind the increase in incidents of eve-teasing is short dresses and short skirts worn by women. This in turn instigates young men,” he had said.
“The incident of eve-teasing is not good. We condemn it but we need to see one thing that there can be no Ramayana without a Ravan,” he had said.
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Comment on dresses, rapes twisted: Andhra police chief - Dec 31, 2011
- Bringing in the new year with style - Jan 01, 2012
- Bangladesh students protest against rampant 'eve teasing, sexual harassment of women ' - Nov 04, 2010
- Women groups support Andhra police chief's comments (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Hi sexy!' Sexist comment or compliment? - Mar 03, 2012
- Eve teasing in Bangladesh causing many women to commit suicide - Jun 16, 2010
- Bangladesh empowers mobile courts to stop eve teasing - Nov 11, 2010
- Eve teaser slapped by Pratigya - Aug 22, 2010
- Women, teenage girls undergo martial arts training in Noida - Nov 28, 2010
- Bengal girl commits suicide after sexual harassment - Aug 14, 2012
- Dress modestly or for ease? China eves debate - Jul 13, 2012
- Colleges in Kanpur ban jeans on campuses to check eve-teasing - Jun 09, 2009
Tags: barasat, chief minister, constituency, dipak, elder brother, eve teasing, harassment, legislator, mamata banerjee, mla, ramayana, ravan, reflections, short dresses, short skirt, short skirts, teenage daughters, teenaged girls, trinamool congress, west bengal