Trinamool minister backtracks on ‘boycott Marxists’ remark (Lead)April 17th, 2012 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 17 (IANS) Under severe criticism for asking Trinamool supporters to ’socially boycott’ CPI-M, state Food Supplies Minister Jyotipriyo Mullick Tuesday backtracked and alleged that his statement has been tampered with.
“My statement has been tampered. I have never asked party workers to socially boycott CPI-M. And that day I was wearing a trouser and a shirt, but the video footage showed that I had worn a kurta and pyjama. The footage has been doctored and tampered,” Mullick told IANS.
The television footage of Mullick addressing a meeting shows him asking Trinamool supporters to socially boycott CPI-M and “learn to hate them” in order to exact revenge for “misdeeds”.
“You should boycott CPI-M socially, don’t mix with them. If a CPI-M supporter invites you to a marriage party or a programme don’t go there. If you don’t boycott them socially you won’t be able to avenge the misdeeds and the injustice they have perpetuated when they were in power,” Mullick had said while addressing a programme.
“Don’t eat with them, don’t sit with them. You all should learn to hate them. Until and unless you learn to hate them you won’t be able to take revenge,” Mullick added.
A section of intellectuals vehemently opposed Mullick’s statement and stated that it would only promote violence in the state.
“Such statements are totally unacceptable. Political beliefs should not prove as a hurdle in social mixing. Otherwise it will trigger civil war,” said Tilottama Majumdar, a writer.
“Such comments will only instigate violence in the state at the grass roots level,” said Kaushik Sen, a theatre personality.
- Trinamool workers display minister's hate speech on billboard - Apr 21, 2012
- 'Learn to hate' CPI-M, says Trinamool minister - Apr 17, 2012
- 'Looking at CPI-M workers' faces will bring bad luck' - Jun 17, 2012
- Congress, Trinamool spar over renaming of building - Jan 03, 2012
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
- If bribed, buy biryani but don't give vote: Mamata - Apr 10, 2011
- Facebook: The new battlefield in Bengal politics - Jul 22, 2012
- Two killed in Bengal, Trinamool says victims were cadres - Feb 17, 2011
- Threats to Trinamool leaders: Mamata hints at 'Marxist-Maoist' plot - Nov 18, 2011
- Let Congress decide on alliance: Mamata - Nov 19, 2011
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Don't vote for CPI-M till it punishes Anil Basu: Pranab - Apr 24, 2011
- Pranab, Mamata appeal for peace - May 15, 2011
- Buddhadeb slams centre, West Bengal government - Aug 26, 2012
- Communists in Kerala squabble like never before (Kerala Newsletter) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: backtracks, boycott, civil war, CPI, exact revenge, grass roots level, hurdle, injustice, intellectuals, kaushik, kurta, marriage, marriage party, personality, political beliefs, state food, television footage, video footage, violence