Trinamool in Goa like mushroom in monsoon: CongressFebruary 13th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 13 (IANS) The Congress Monday compared the newly-emerged Trinamool Congress in Goa to a mushroom growing in the monsoon, saying the party had just come up at the height of the electoral season and would not have much impact.
“The Trinamool Congress (TC) is in a nascent stage… It is like a mushroom which springs up only in the rainy season,” Congress state working president Francisco Sardinha told reporters here.
The Trinamool which opened its offices here in Goa last month, has appointed former chief minister Dr Wilfred de Souza as its chief. De Souza is known to have a following amongst the Catholic population of north Goa, which has been considered a secure votebank of the Congress.
Congress insiders also say that the 20-plus candidates fielded by the Trinamool and the rebel Congressmen, who have not been given tickets, could eat into the Congress vote bank and thus benefit the opposing alliance between the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Maharashtrwadi Gomantak Party (MGP).
Goa has a Catholic population of nearly 26 per cent in a population of 14 million.
Sardinha, however, sarcastically said that the status of the Trinamool Congress in Goa was exactly like the Trinamool Congress, hinting that the new entity would not affect the Congress votebank.
“The status of Trinamool Congress is like the Trinamool Congress. People do not like to waste their votes. People want to see people they vote for come to power,” he said.
- Congress claim whittles, BJP coy over seats - Mar 02, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, turnout over 80 percent (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance win in Goa; to stake claim Wednesday (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Plans to convert Goa into Hong Kong an insult' - Feb 28, 2012
- After ousting Congress, BJP has to deliver on promises (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Trinamool not to tie up with Congress in Goa - Jan 14, 2012
- Voting starts in Goa (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Congress faces BJP charge in Goa (Goa Curtainraiser) - Mar 02, 2012
- Polling begins in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- Mamata's fire and bluster scorches Goa poll scene (Goa Newsletter) - Jan 11, 2012
- Saddened by trends, Goa Congress legislator to 'take a nap' - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa illegal mining scam worth $423 million: Trinamool Congress - Feb 15, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, as high as 80 percent (Evening Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Mamata wants Hong Kong style 'financial district' in Goa - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, catholic population, chief minister, congress vote, congressmen, de souza, dr wilfred, electoral season, insiders, mgp, monsoon, mushroom, nascent stage, north goa, panaji, rainy season, sardinha, tc, vote bank