Trinamool Congress supporters celebrate party’s good showingMay 16th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 16 (IANS) Jubilant Trinamool Congress supporters waved the victory sign and celebrated in the West Bengal capital Saturday after the party along with its ally the Congress established a clear lead in the Left-ruled state as voting trends indicated.
The Trinamool was leading in 13 constituencies while alliance partner Congress was ahead in five out of the 32 seats for which trends were available. In all, the Congress-Trinamool alliance was ahead in 18 seats while the Left Front was ahead in 12.
Trinamool supporters and cadres, with green colour smeared on their faces, waved the victory sign and danced on the streets here.
In the 2004 Lok Sabha elections, the LF had won 35 seats, while the Congress and the Trinamool got six and one respectively.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee of Congress was leading from Jangipur, while Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee was leading in her pocket borough of Kolkata South.
- Mamata, Congress breach Left citadel in Bengal (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- West Bengal people welcome change - May 13, 2011
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Mamata tsunami sweeps away 34 years of Left rule in Bengal (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Mamata tsunami sweeps away 34 years of Left rule in Bengal (Night Roundup) - May 14, 2011
- Time for regime change in Bengal, says PM (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Trinamool, AIADMK poised to win, Left fights in Kerala - May 13, 2011
- West Bengal's red fort falls (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Brisk polling amid sporadic violence in Bengal civic polls - Jun 03, 2012
- Congress-Trinamool seat-sharing talks for Bengal soon - Feb 19, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool reach accord for Bengal polls (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Trinamool legislators to meet Sunday - May 14, 2011
- We can fight and win on our own, Trinamool tells Congress - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: alliance partner, ally, cadres, congress supporters, constituencies, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, faces, lf, lok sabha elections, mamata banerjee, pranab mukherjee, trinamool congress chief, victory sign, voting trends, west bengal