Trinamool, Congress fight separately in TripuraMarch 11th, 2009 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Agartala, March 11 (IANS) The Congress and the Trinamool Congress are likely to put up candidates against each other in the two Lok Sabha seats in Tripura even as they forge an alliance in West Bengal.
“We have shortlisted seven names for the two seats in Tripura and decided to form a tie-up with two tribal-based parties,” Arun Chandra Bhowmik, chairman of the Trinamool Congress in Tripura, told journalists Wednesday.
The two parties are the Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) and the Nationalist Council of Tripura (NCT).
Elections to the West Tripura and East Tripura constituencies, which are reserved for tribals, would be held April 23.
The Trinamool Congress has already started its election campaign.
“After the selection of candidates, party leaders from West Bengal and actors Tapas Paul and Satabdi Roy will take part in the campaign,” Trinamool Congress state president Dulal Das said.
The main opposition Congress party is busy selecting nominees to contest the two Lok Sabha seats.
“There are seven Congress aspirants for the West Tripura seat and four for East Tripura,” Congress spokesperson Tapas Dey said.
The ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Front and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have declared their candidates for both seats.
Khagen Das and Bajuban Reang, both CPI-M central committee members who won in 2004, will again contest from West Tripura and East Tripura respectively.
Tripura BJP president Nilmani Deb will contest from West Tripura while veteran tribal leader Pulin Dewan will be the candidate from East Tripura.
- Trinamool to fight against Congress in Tripura - Mar 17, 2009
- Multi-cornered fight in two constituencies (Poll Curtainraiser - Tripura) - Apr 22, 2009
- After songs, plays, rallies galore, campaigning ends in Tripura - Apr 21, 2009
- Trinamool Congress, Congress no deal in Tripura polls - Apr 14, 2010
- Trinamool Congress to fight it out alone in Tripura - Mar 25, 2009
- Tripura Left Front announces candidates for polls - Mar 03, 2009
- Heavy turnout, peaceful Lok Sabha polls in Tripura (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Voting for Lok Sabha polls begins in Tripura - Apr 23, 2009
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Trinamool takes on Congress in Manipur - Jan 22, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Trinamool launches campaign to oust Left from Tripura - Aug 20, 2011
- Left retains Tripura tribal council with thumping majority (Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Protests planned in Delhi to demand new states - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: agartala, bharatiya janata party, bjp, central committee members, chandra, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, election campaign, indigenous people, lok sabha seats, m central, opposition congress party, party leaders, ruling communist party, state president, tribal leader, trinamool congress, west bengal, west tripura