Trinamool calls Pranab spokesman of CPI-MFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 22 (IANS) Stung by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee’s oblique criticism of West Bengal’s opposition leader Mamata Banerjee, her Trinamool Congress Sunday dubbed him as a spokesman of the state’s ruling Left Front major Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
“We have a ‘hero of West Bengal’ who is now acting as a spokesman of the CPI-M. We don’t understand why suddenly he feels the urge to do something for the welfare of the people just a few days before the Lok Sabha polls,” the state’s Leader of Opposition Partha Chattopadhyay told reporters here.
The Trinamool reaction came hours after Mukherjee shared the dais with state chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, ignoring Banerjee’s call to him not to attend foundation stone laying ceremonies alongside the ruling communist leaders, with the Lok Sabha polls only a few months away.
Chattopadhyay accused Mukherjee of being a hypocrite and termed the foundation stone laying ceremonies as election stunt. “People are being fooled in the name of industrialisation.”
“Our ‘hero of Bengal’ is a hypocrite. And if he is so worried for the poor and the working class, where was he during the Nandigram and Singur massacres or during the murder of Tapasi Mallik at Singur? It was our leader Mamata Banerjee, who risked her life and went there to support the victims,” Chattopadhyay said.
Mukherjee Sunday attended the foundation-stone laying ceremony of the East West Metro Corridor Project - a joint venture between the central and state government.
Without naming Banerjee, Mukherjee said if anybody tries to derail the development process, it would “not be desirable”.
Banerjee has carried out a sustained campaign against the state government’s bid to acquire agricultural land for setting up industries for the last two and half years.
The shrill pitch of her agitations forced Tata Motors to shift its Nano small car project to Gujarat, besides making uncertain the fate of several other projects.
- Bengal parties on foundation stone-laying, inauguration spree - Feb 27, 2011
- Trinamool cooperated with Maoists in Nandigram: Party MP - Jan 08, 2011
- Mamata's swearing-in: Singur, Netai victims' kin invited - May 19, 2011
- CPI-M mocks Mamata's industrial revolution remark - Nov 01, 2011
- Men who will matter in Mamata's Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Mamata keeps date with industrialists - Nov 02, 2010
- Seven Maoists surrender in Bengal - May 23, 2012
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
- Left Front leaders to attend Mamata's swearing-in - May 20, 2011
- Pranab praises Buddhadeb a day after supping with Mamata - Nov 20, 2010
- Buddhadeb silent on Singur verdict, flays Mamata - Sep 29, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Three victories for Mamata on golden Wednesday - Sep 28, 2011
- Mamata's bluff as railway minister called: CPI-M - Aug 21, 2011
- West Bengal housing minister threatened me: Mamata - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: car project, communist leaders, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, corridor project, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, mallik, mamata banerjee, nandigram, opposition leader, pranab mukherjee, singur, state chief, tata motors, trinamool congress, west bengal, west metro