Traders down shutters to support HazareAugust 27th, 2011 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 27 (IANS) Traders in parts of Uttar Pradesh downed their shutters Saturday to support Anna Hazare whose fast for a strong anti-corruption bill has entered the 12th day, officials said.
Under the banner of Uttar Pradesh Udyog Vyapar Pratinidhi Mandal (UPUVPM) - a state level traders’ union - shopkeepers kept their establishments closed.
“While traders in Lucknow, Kanpur, Allahabad and other major cities will keep their shops closed till 2 p.m., shopkeepers of Lakhimpur, Sitapur and Mainpuri will observe a daylong shutdown,” UPUVPM President S.B. Mishra told reporters here.
Shops and markets in various localities here, including Aliganj, Vikas Nagar, Jankipuram, Kalyanpur and Khurram Nagar, which normally start operations at 7 a.m., wore a deserted look following the symbolic protest being observed by the traders.
Some petrol pumps in the city also opened late.
“Most petrol pumps began functioning an hour later to express solidarity with Anna, who is fighting on behalf of all the citizens of the country who want to see a corruption-free India,” Uttar Pradesh Petroleum Traders’ Association (UPPTA) member B.N. Shukla told reporters.
Traders in Lucknow will also take out a procession in Hazare’s support.
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- UP jewellers protest duty hike - Mar 31, 2012
- UP traders claim bandh a success, to keep up protests (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- UP traders to protest 'close at 7 p.m.' order - Jun 18, 2012
- Lucknow celebrates as Hazare leaves Tihar Jail - Aug 19, 2011
- SP workers clash with police during FDI protests - Dec 01, 2011
- Demonstrations in Lucknow against Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Lucknow erupts in joy after World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Activists in Lucknow support Hazare's campaign - Apr 06, 2011
- Team Anna conducts referendum on Jan Lokpal bill - Oct 02, 2011
- We are with Hazare, say activists in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 07, 2011
- Celebrations in Lucknow as Anna ends fast - Apr 09, 2011
- Agra markets join shutdown against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Support for Anna swells in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2011
- Anna Hazare can go wherever he feels like: Salman Khurshid - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: allahabad, anna hazare, establishments, free india, khurram, localities, lucknow, major cities, mandal, mishra, petrol pumps, procession, shukla, shutters, sitapur, solidarity, symbolic protest, traders association, traders union, vikas