Trade union wants Rs.300 wages for rural jobs scheme (Lead)February 8th, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The new executive committee of the Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) Wednesday sought minimum wages of Rs.300 for labourers engaged in the central government’s rural job scheme.
“We demand appointment of anti-corruption observers for MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme) and enhanced minimum wages of Rs.300 daily for the workers,” Ashok Choudhry, president of the pro-United Progressive Alliance (UPA) faction of the INTUC, told reporters here.
He said the group will campaign for Congress candidates in the ongoing Uttar Pradesh assembly elections.
Choudhry claimed he was elected president during the INTUC national convention held in Hyderabad Jan 17-18. He replaced Sanjeeva Reddy, who had been heading the group for several years.
Choudhry alleged that Reddy did not belong to the INTUC as he supported calls for protest against the economic policies of the UPA government Feb 28, in which trade unions supported by the Left parties were participating.
He said the trade union had recently submitted memoranda to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi listing its demands.
Other demands of the INTUC include enhanced benefits for contract workers and labour participation in the managment of those units which have got land allotted from the government.
- Trade union wants anti-graft observers for rural jobs - Feb 08, 2012
- Sonia supports INTUC on Sep 7 general strike - Sep 05, 2010
- Trade unions begin march in Delhi against price rise - Feb 23, 2011
- Unorganised labour unions in Bengal want minimum wages revised - Dec 08, 2011
- Strike is 99 percent successful: INTUC chief Sanjeeva Reddy - Sep 07, 2010
- Trade unions call for nationwide strike Sep 7 - Jul 15, 2010
- Ensure minimum wages under job scheme, Aruna Roy urges PM - Jan 22, 2012
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- Lucky to get Rs.40 for 12 hours work on International Labour Day - May 01, 2011
- Trade unions march to speaker to submit memo on price rise (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Rural ministry refuses to suspend rural jobs scheme - Aug 14, 2011
- Policies should be flexible, says PM - Jul 14, 2012
- Labour strike to cripple key sectors of Indian economy (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- KBC winner will be rural job scheme brand ambassador - Nov 14, 2011
- Labour strike to paralyse banking, transport services Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, choudhry, congress candidates, congress president sonia gandhi, contract workers, guarantee scheme, intuc, labourers, left parties, mahatma gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, minimum wages, national trade union congress, new executive committee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, trade union congress, trade unions