Top three of Bangladesh religious party arrestedJune 29th, 2010 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 29 (IANS) Three top officials of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami (JeI), the country’s largest Islamist party, were arrested Tuesday on charges of hurting Muslim religious sentiments.
JeI’s ameer (chief) Maulana Motiur Rahman Nizami, its secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojaheed and naib ameer (vice-president) Delwar Hossain Saydee were arrested hours after a Dhaka court ordered their arrest, Star Online reported.
The three were present at a meeting on March 17 when Dhaka city JeI ameer Rafiqul Islam Khan, participating in a discussion compared Nizami’s perceived persecution by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government with sufferings of Prophet Muhammad.
This had hurt the religious sentiments of Muslims, as per a complaint lodged with the police by Syed Rejaul Haque Chandpuri, secretary general of the Bangladesh Tarikat Federation, apparently a socio-religious body.
Bangladesh, an Islamic Republic, has an overwhelming Muslim majority population.
Chandpuri had lodged a complaint against five JeI leaders. One of them, A.S.M Yahia, the Dhaka city chief of the party’s student wing Islami Chhatra Shibir secured bail from the same court Tuesday.
Nizami and Mojaheed, both ministers in the government of Begum Khaleda Zia (2001-06), are also on the list of “war criminals” — those who targeted unarmed civilians in the run-up to the 1971 freedom movement.
Prime Minister Sheiklh Hasina’s government is preparing to try them, along with hundreds of others, for their “war crimes.”
- Dhaka gets tough with Islamist party - Jun 30, 2010
- Bangladesh Islamist leaders sued for hurting Muslim sentiments - Mar 22, 2010
- Bangladesh Islamist leaders denied bail, told to surrender - Apr 05, 2010
- Bangladesh moves against Islamists for 1971 killings - Jul 15, 2010
- Dhaka's Islamist leader admits after 40 years: 'It was genocide' - May 05, 2011
- We will wait, watch: Jamaat on war crimes trial - Mar 26, 2010
- Four Bangladesh Islamist students arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- Bangladesh begins war crimes trial process - Jul 25, 2010
- Dhaka court rejects Jamaat challenge to war tribunal judges - Jul 27, 2010
- Bangladesh Islamists to counter 1971 `war crimes' charge - Jul 06, 2010
- Dhaka Islamist leaders jailed for 1971 `war crimes' - Aug 02, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition parties to launch stir against Hasina - Jun 06, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition leader faces trial for 'war crime' - Dec 30, 2010
- Dhaka could be next stop for foreign troops: Islamist leader - May 10, 2009
- Fight Indian pressure: Dhaka Jamaat leader - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: ameer, begum khaleda zia, city chief, dhaka city, freedom movement, islamist party, jamaat e islami, khaleda zia, majority population, minister sheikh hasina, muslim majority, naib, prophet muhammad, religious body, religious party, religious sentiments, tarikat, unarmed civilians, war crimes, war criminals