Top PLA rebel arrested in MeghalayaSeptember 5th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Sep 5 (IANS) A top rebel of the outlawed People’s Liberation Army of Manipur was arrested from eastern Meghalaya near the Bangladesh border, an official said Wednesday.
Athokpam Surchandra Singh, who holds the rank of lieutenant and Area Secretary of Imphal (West) Division of the PLA, was arrested late Tuesday from Dawki area in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district, Border Security Force (BSF) spokesman Ravi Gandhi said.
Gandhi said the rebel was apprehended while trying to infiltrate into Bangladesh from the Dawki border. The troopers also recovered Indian currency of Rs.8,735 and two cell phones from Athokpam’s possession.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly, unfenced and prone to frequent infiltration.
“The rebel revealed that he spent most of his time camping in Bangladesh ever since he joined the PLA in 1993,” Gandhi said.
Athokpam had sneaked into India from Bangladesh in December 2011, and had been based at Imphal, the capital of Manipur, overseeing PLA activities.
While in Bangladesh, Gandhi said Athokpam was involved in the organisational work of PLA in Bangladesh. His work involved organising public meetings and motivating local Bangladeshi youth to join the PLA.
The Manipur-based outfit has been maintaining close links with other northeast extremist outfits, including those who have taken shelter in Bangladesh.
The PLA, a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur, has reportedly set up bases in Bangladesh.
There are about 20 militant groups active in Manipur, bordering Myanmar. Their demands range from secession to greater autonomy.
- Manipur insurgents held near India-Bangladesh border - May 05, 2010
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- ULFA and KLO rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 05, 2012
- ULFA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 13, 2011
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- ULFA cadre arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 10, 2012
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Three militants arrested in Meghalaya - May 24, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Two ULFA rebels arrested - Oct 21, 2011
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Suspected Meghalaya rebels abduct official, traders - Nov 21, 2011
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: autonomy, border security force, bsf, east khasi hills, extremist, gandhi, independent homeland, indian currency, infiltration, liberation army, manipur, meghalaya, militant groups, organisational work, public meetings, ravi, rebel group, rs 8, secession, shillong