Top leaders focus on Amritsar during final campaignMay 11th, 2009 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, May 11 (IANS) Top leaders of the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) focussed on Punjab’s Amritsar parliamentary seat Monday - the last day of campaigning for the fifth and final phase of the 2009 general elections to be held Wednesday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi jointly addressed an election rally for Congress candidate Om Prakash Soni at the upscale Ranjit Avenue area of this Sikh holy city.
This was their first joint rally in the entire election campaign. Both leaders criticised the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and the BJP for not doing anything for the farmers and the poor of the country.
The prime minister later addressed a rally at Tarn Taran in Khadoor Sahib parliamentary constituency, 50 km from here.
Congress candidate Soni is pitted against cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu of the BJP for the Amritsar seat.
In Majitha town, near here, which forms part of the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat, the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani addressed a rally in favour of Sidhu.
The NDA had Sunday put up a big show of strength of its allies in the industrial city of Ludhiana.
Nine parliamentary seats in Punjab go to the polls Wednesday to decide the fate of 139 candidates.
Four parliamentary seats of the state went to the polls May 7.
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Punjab poll lingo: 'Pappu PM' and 'qattal-e-aam' (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 27, 2012
- Advani, Rahul, Rajnath, Hema descend upon Punjab - Jan 25, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
- Congress, BJP make last attempt to woo Sikh voters - May 11, 2009
- Rahul for Amarinder as Punjab chief minister - Jan 25, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP, Congress share initial honours in Punjab - May 16, 2009
- Akali-BJP alliance under pressure (Poll Curtainraiser - Punjab) - May 12, 2009
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: amritsar, bharatiya janata party, congress candidate, election rally, general elections, l k advani, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, parliamentary constituency, parliamentary seat, parliamentary seats, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, rahul gandhi, ranjit, show of strength, sidhu, soni