To raise school enrolment, Chhattisgarh offers free shoesJune 20th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 20 (IANS) Chhattisgarh has come up with a unique way of enticing students belonging to the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST) to enrol in school - it is offering them free shoes and socks.
The scheme announced Saturday is applicable for students of Classes 6 to 8, belonging to SC and ST communities.
“The scheme will first be introduced in 1,114 boarding schools run by the tribal welfare department across the 18 districts where about 70,000 students are being enrolled,” a government statement said.
Government officials said that the move to provide free shoes and socks to students is likely to play a positive role in inspiring more children even in remote areas to enrol.
- Tribal students benefit from Chhattisgarh Govt.'s 'Hostel Scheme' - Dec 20, 2010
- Delhi to get residential school for underprivileged kids - May 14, 2012
- Chhattisgarh asks schools to honour RTE Act - Feb 15, 2012
- Chhattisgarh to simplify caste certification process - Aug 22, 2012
- Chhattisgarh tribals issued invalid caste certificates - Aug 19, 2012
- Tribal students to benefit from new central scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Highlights of Delhi budget - May 29, 2012
- Orissa coaches tribal students to compete in competititve tests - Sep 05, 2010
- Focussed on welfare schemes for SC, ST: PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Jharkhand to provide free bicycles to girl students - Aug 08, 2011
- Delhi government diverted funds meant for SCs: NGO - Jul 08, 2012
- Chhattisgarh has no scholarship scheme for madrasas - Mar 28, 2011
- Once 'criminal tribes' might finally get integrated - May 28, 2012
- One swallow does not make a summer in Bastar - Nov 13, 2010
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012