To join or not to join - Karunanidhi meets senior DMK leadersMay 24th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 24 (IANS) Hectic moves were afoot in the DMK camp Sunday to resolve the impasse on ministry sharing with party supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi meeting senior party leaders individually at his residence here before taking a final call on joining the Congress-led UPA government.
“The party chief is meeting senior party leaders individually and a final decision on joining the UPA government is expected be known this (Sunday) evening,” a DMK senior leader told IANS requesting anonymity.
“Our demand was nine ministerial berths. The Congress may settle down for seven,” the leader said, adding that first time parliamentarians may not be given cabinet rank but only Minister of State.
After several rounds of talks on sharing of ministerial berths failed, the DMK announced Thursday night that it would support the UPA government from outside. Manmohan Singh was sworn in as prime minister as well as 19 others as ministers on Friday. The portfolios of six ministers were announced Saturday.
A new round of ministers is expected to be sworn in this week, most probably Tuesday.
The DMK leader said the Congress wants to keep the infrastructure portfolios like shipping, surface transport and power. However, the DMK is keen to complete the Sethu Samudram project and it feels that if a party member is not given the shipping portfolio then the project to create a shipping canal in the Palk Strait will remain in limbo.
However, the general feeling in the leadership is that the DMK will join the government.
He said if the DMK decides to participate, then a Congress leader would come down to Chennai and both the parties will jointly announce the DMK’s joining the government.
The Congress-led UPA commands 322 seats in the new Lok Sabha. The DMK, a major pre-poll ally, has 18 seats and has been bargaining hard for ministerial berths to party leaders, including members of the Karunanidhi family.
- DMK to join government, likely to get seven berths (Second Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Berth row solved, DMK to join UPA government (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Karunanidhi battles to end family impasse over Cabinet berths - May 24, 2009
- Kanimozhi opts out of Cabinet race, DMK likely to join UPA by Monday - May 24, 2009
- DMK shows the door to T.R. Baalu - May 24, 2009
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- DMK meet ends; silence on cabinet slots, Congress tie-up (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Ministers to resign Monday, no contact from Congress: DMK (Night Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Trouble in Kerala's ruling coalition over ministership claims - Mar 26, 2012
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK ministers to submit their resignations to PM - Mar 07, 2011
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: cabinet rank, congress leader, dmk leader, final call, karunanidhi family, Lok Sabha, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial berths, new lok, palk strait, party chief, party leaders, party member, sethu samudram project, shipping canal, shipping surface, surface transport, tamil nadu