Timeline of 2G spectrum caseMay 20th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) With the bail plea of former Tamil Nadu chief minister M. Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi being rejected, the second generation (2G) spectrum case has taken another turn. A timeline of the case:
- Oct 22, 2009: The CBI files a first information report (FIR) against unidentified officials of the department of telecommunications on the 2G spectrum (airwaves) auction, based on a reference from the Central Vigilance Commission.
- November first week, 2010: Media publishes contents of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on the 2G spectrum auction. The CAG said that the public exchequer suffered a notional loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore ($40 billion) due to faulty auction procedure under Raja in 2008.
- Nov 9, 2010: Parliament’s winter session begins. Protests by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Left parties and other parties - demanding a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the spectrum scandal - wash away the five-week session.
- Nov 14: Raja submits his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi. Claims he did no wrong.
- Nov 16: CAG report on 2G spectrum allocation tabled in both houses of parliament amidst uproarious scenes.
- Dec 8: The CBI raids the house of Raja and premises of former aides Siddharth Behura and R.K. Chandolia in New Delhi. It also raids houses and offices of Raja’s relatives, associates and some journalists and social workers in Tamil Nadu linked to the DMK and Raja. The CBI claims recovering incriminating documents.
- Dec 15: The CBI raids the houses and offices of Niira Radia, a corporate lobbyist linked with Raja. She is subsequently questioned by the CBI several times.
- Dec 24: The CBI questions Raja in New Delhi.
- Dec 25: Raja’s questioning continues for the second day.
- Jan 31, 2011: The CBI questions Raja again.
- Feb 2: The CBI arrests Raja, Chandolia and Behura.
- April 2: CBI filed charges against nine people and three firms — Raja, Chandolia, Behura, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, director Vinod Goenka, Unitech director Sanjay Chandra and three officials from the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group — Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara.
April 20: Special city court denies bail to Goenka, Chandra, Doshi, Nair and Pipara.
April 25: In a major embarrassment for Karunanidhi, daughter Kanimozhi named co-conspirator, along with Sharad Kumar of Kalaignar TV, Karim Morani of Cineyug Films, and Asif Balwa and Rajiv B. Agarwal of Kusegaon Realty.
May 6: Morani had got exemption for appearance as he was admitted to Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital. He again got exemption May 10 on the same grounds. Pipara is in All India Institute of Medical Sciences for treatment, but continues to be in judicial custody.
May 20: Kanimozhi’s bail plea rejected. Sent to judicial custody in Tihar Jail. Sharad Kumar also to go to jail.
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar appear in CBI court (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- 2G spectrum case: A chronology - Jul 07, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani exempted from appearance third time - May 12, 2011
- 2G scam: Shahid Balwa's bail decision reserved - May 18, 2011
- Kanimozhi gets two-day exemption from court appearance (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Cineyug's Morani asked to approach trial court for bail - May 03, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Bail hearing of five corporates in 2G case to resume Wednesday - May 02, 2011
- Court rejects exemption plea of Kanimozhi, Kumar (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi applies for bail (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Cineyug director Morani seeks anticipatory bail - May 02, 2011
- 2G scam: Decision reserved on Shahid Balwa's bail plea (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Court verdict on Kanimozhi's bail plea Saturday - May 13, 2011
- 2G case: No bail for Balwas, Rajiv Aggarwal (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail - May 23, 2011
Tags: bail plea, cag report, cbi raids, central vigilance commission, corporate lobbyist, houses of parliament, information report, left parties, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, parliamentary committee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, raja, spectrum allocation, spectrum auction, tamil nadu, winter session