Tihar a picnic spot for fraudsters: BJPJuly 2nd, 2011 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) In the wake of a media report alleging special treatment being accorded to VIP prisoners at Tihar Jail here, opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday said the jail had become a “picnic spot” for scamsters.
“Tihar has become a picnic spot for the champions of scams and corruption,” BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters.
“The central government is first trying to protect the people who are involved in corruption and scams, and if they are in jail, they are providing all the facilities,” he said.
A newspaper report Saturday said that extra liberty was being given to former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi and other high profile prisoners at the Tihar Jail.
It said that during a surprise visit by inspecting trial court judge Brijesh Kumar Garg, Kalmadi was found having tea and snacks with the jail superintendent, while the cells of the 2G scam accused were found unlocked.
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi - Jul 02, 2011
- Action against three Tihar officials for irregularities - Jul 04, 2011
- Action against four Tihar officials for lapses (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Anna in Tihar, shares jail with Kalmadi - Aug 16, 2011
- Marathons, street plays in BJP's anti-graft campaign - Apr 05, 2011
- Kalmadi discharged from AIIMS, back in Tihar - Aug 04, 2011
- Raja, Kalmadi relish paneer, kheer, halwa... - Jan 01, 2012
- Quiet Diwali for Tihar Jail's VIP inmates - Oct 27, 2011
- With Amar Singh, list of Tihar's who's who grows longer - Sep 06, 2011
- BJP will do better than expected in UP: Naqvi - Mar 01, 2012
- BJP backs Ramdev's agitation - Aug 10, 2012
- Ranchi prisoners fast to support Hazare - Aug 20, 2011
- BJP questions finance ministry 'security breach' - Jun 21, 2011
- Don't be happy about SC decision, opposition tells Congress - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: abbas, bjp, brijesh, central government, commonwealth games, corruption, cwg, fraudsters, garg, naqvi, New Delhi, newspaper report, organising committee, picnic spot, prisoners, scams, snacks, suresh kalmadi, surprise visit, trial court judge