Tiff over BJP-JD-U seat sharing in Jharkhand continuesMarch 23rd, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 23 (IANS) Angry over their party’s seat sharing arrangement with the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) in Jharkhand, some Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers continued their protests for the second day Monday.
The BJP has decided to support JD-U candidates from Chatra and Palamau Lok Sabha constituencies in the state, inviting angry reaction from the party activists. The BJP had won the two seats in 1999 Lok Sabha elections and lost them in the 2004 polls.
The angry party workers - led by the legislators and districts presidents of Palamau and Chatra - staged demonstration at party headquarters in Ranchi and locked state president Raghubar Das for several hours inside a room.
Das was trying to pacify the angry workers.
“We respect the feelings of the party workers. Even state unit agrees with the demand. The ultimate decision will be taken by the central party leaders,” Das told media later.
The slogan shouting activists alleged that the Palamau and Chatra Lok Sabha tickets have been sold by the party to the JD-U.
They said the JD-U had no base in the two constituencies.
“We are waiting for the party high command decisions. We have been assured a favourable decision,” said Satyanand Bhokta, a BJP legislator was also protesting.
In Jharkhand, the BJP will field its candidates from 12 seats.
More than 2,000 BJP workers in Palamau and Chatra have quit to protest the party decision.
- Jharkhand BJP workers angry over seat sharing with JD-U - Mar 22, 2009
- BJP, JD-U at daggers drawn in Jharkhand after poll results - May 19, 2009
- BJP's alliance partners in Jharkhand to support Pranab - Jul 17, 2012
- BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact - Nov 14, 2011
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- Question mark over BJP-JD-U alliance in Jharkhand - Oct 29, 2009
- Rajya Sabha poll: BJP says Munda government safe - May 02, 2012
- Ex Jharkhand minister booked for abduction - Jan 20, 2011
- Jharkhand UPA falls apart, NDA may follow suit - Mar 23, 2009
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- JD-U undecided on supporting BJP in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 09, 2009
- Jharkhand JD-U wants to fight assembly polls on its own - May 27, 2009
- BJP backs JMM in bypoll, JD-U miffed - Nov 21, 2011
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Choosing ministers will not be easy for Munda - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: angry reaction, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chatra, command decisions, favourable decision, jd, legislator, legislators, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha elections, party activists, party headquarters, party leaders, presidents, protests, ranchi, slogan, state president, tiff