Thumbnails of ministers for state (Independent charge)May 27th, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Following are the thumbnail sketches of the seven ministers of state (independent charge) in the new Manmohan Singh ministry:
Age: 63 years
Academic qualifications: B.E.(Hons), M.S. Educated at BITS, Pilani, Rajasthan and University of California, Berkeley, US.
Experience: He was the minister of state in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in the previous government. He is a Rajya Sabha MP while his parents were parliamentarians for 17 years.
Age: 72 years
Academic qualifications: Matriculate
Experience: A senior leader from Gujarat, he was elected to the state assembly for five terms from 1975 to 1996 and was a state PWD and parliamentary affairs minister from 1990 to 1995. A four-time MP since 1996, he was made a minister of state for petroleum and natural gas in February 2006. He has worked as a member of consultative committees of several ministries.
Age: 56 years
Academic qualifications: Studied at Delhi Public School, St Stephen’s College, Delhi and St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. He was a Junior Research Fellow and then lecturer at Trinity College, Oxford. He is a practising Supreme Court lawyer.
Experience: Son of former external affairs minister late Khurshid Alam Khan and grandson of Zakir Hussain, India’s third president.
He was an officer on special duty in the PMO in the Indira Gandhi government and minister of state for external affairs from 1991-1996.
Age: 55 years
Academic qualifications: B.Tech., M.S. Educated at IIT, Bombay, Carnegie Mellon University and MIT, US.
Experience: A key member of the Congress think-tank. He belongs to Karnataka but was elected to Rajya Sabha in 2004 from Andhra Pradesh. Was minister of state for commerce when he quit to take charge of the Congress war room for the 2009 elections.
Academic qualifications: Intermediate. Educated at DAV College, Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
Experience: Elected to the 13th and 14th Lok Sabha in 1999 and 2004. Was made minister of state for home affairs in 2004.
Age: 54 years
Academic qualification: Master’s in Hindi and B.Ed. from Delhi University.
Experience: A social worker working for women empowerment and backward classes, Tirath was in the Delhi assembly for three terms (1984-2004) and held positions of deputy speaker and social welfare minister.
A close aide of chief minister Sheila Dikshit, she won in 2004 from the Karol Bagh seat and managed to secure a second term in parliament from the North West Delhi this time. She is credited for introducing the Rainwater Harvesting Bill in parliament in 2006.
Praful Patel (Nationalist Congress Party)
Age: 52 years
Academic qualifications: B.Com
Experience: He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1996-97, 1998-99, and 2000. Elected to Rajya Sabha January 2001 and re-elected in 2006. He was minister of state (independent charge) for civil aviation in the previous government.
- Brief profile of UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee - Jun 15, 2012
- Thumbnail sketches of ministers of state - May 28, 2009
- Thumbnail sketches of India's new cabinet ministers - May 27, 2009
- Proposed Lokpal members to leave politics, business, have single term - Jun 24, 2011
- Centre for fast resolution of Waqf property disputes - Mar 15, 2011
- Mayawati takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Apr 24, 2012
- Salman Khurshid: effective communicator in difficult times - Dec 13, 2011
- K.C. Venugopal: First time MP with state experience - Jan 19, 2011
- Parliament in 1950s and now: Sittings have shrunk - May 13, 2012
- West Bengal tops in child trafficking cases - May 03, 2012
- Indian ministers grow richer with average assets of Rs.10 crore - Sep 15, 2011
- Jamia Millia chief backs women's quota bill - May 02, 2012
- N.K.P. Salve, ex-minister and former BCCI chief, dead (Second Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Vice presidential hopefull Jaswant Singh comes full circle - Jul 16, 2012
- Sachin takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: carnegie mellon university, consultative committees, dav college, delhi public school, external affairs minister, iit bombay, indira gandhi, jairam ramesh, junior research fellow, lawyer experience, manmohan singh, prithviraj, rajya sabha, st edmund hall, st edmund hall oxford, supreme court lawyer, thumbnail sketches, trinity college oxford, university of california berkeley, zakir hussain