Three UP BJP leaders resign after elevation of Rajnath’s sonJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 1:26 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 22 (IANS) The infighting within Bhartiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Uttar Pradesh again came to the fore here Sunday, when three functionaries resigned from their positions to protest against appointment of former party chief Rajnath Singh’s son Pankaj as a general secretary.
“We are at least ten years senior to Pankaj in the party and we have made out way up the ladder ; and here is this lad being imposed upon us from the top. This is not acceptable to us,” declared state BJP secretary Daya Shankar Singh, who along with two of his co-secretaries, Santosh Singh and Ashwini Tyagi, have put in their papers in strong protest against the move.
Singh and his two colleagues were understood to have shot off a joint letter off protest to state BJP chief Surya Pratap Shahi with a copy to national president Nitin Gadkari.
The letter not only points out how the three office-bearers had struggled to rise to the state secretary level, but have also sought to draw the attention of the party leadership to what Gadkari has himself been telling people about his own rise from the grassroots level.
Daya Shankar Singh told IANS: “Gadkari ji has time and again told us that he made his way up through the mill - right from pasting posters on the wall. We would like to know when did Pankaj Singh ever do any work in the party.”
Pankaj Singh was given the position of the party general secretary as compensation after he was denied a ticket for contesting next month’s state assembly election.
Having failed to have his way with Gadkari for a ticket for his son, Rajnath Singh was understood to have moved heaven and earth to get Pankaj installed on a key position in the party organisation. The move is seen as a major showdown for Rajnath Singh, who had also been state chief minister as well as an union minister in the past.
- Kushwaha urges Gadkari to put his BJP membership on hold (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Jockeying for power in Karnataka delays leadership change - Jul 10, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi, Modi's foe, quits BJP (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- BJP can't form government in UP, says Rajnath (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Rajnath Singh to lead anti-price rise rally - Feb 24, 2010
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- BJP amends constitution to extend Gadkari's term (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Coalgate: Rajnath demands probe by SC judge - Sep 08, 2012
- BJP-JMM leaders to continue talks over Jharkhand's future - May 01, 2010
- BJP replaces Gowda with Shettar in Karnataka (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2012
- Shettar to be elected Karnataka BJP legislature party leader Tuesday - Jul 09, 2012
- Congress communalising war against terror: BJP - Jul 18, 2011
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- BJP to make fresh assessment of Kashmir situation - May 28, 2012
Tags: ashwini, bhartiya janata party, bjp leaders, daya, grassroots level, heaven and earth, infighting, national president, pankaj, party chief, party leadership, party organisation, posters on the wall, pratap, santosh singh, shankar singh, state assembly election, state chief, state secretary, union minister