Three offshore Goa casinos sealed for violating pollution normsMarch 24th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 24 (IANS) The Goa government Tuesday sealed three offshore casinos, which were under the scanner for violating pollution norms.
The casinos - Rio, Caravela and Maharaja - had failed to obtain the necessary licence from the Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB).
North Goa district collector K. Singh told reporters that officials of the Bardez and Tiswadi talukas sealed the three casinos on the recommendation of the GSPCB.
The GSPCB had March 18 directed all the six offshore casino operators in Goa to suspend their operations, because they had failed to obtain its authorisation under rule 5 (1) of the Hazardous Wastes Rules.
The action followed allegations by opposition leaders that the six offshore casinos were dumping untreated sewage into the Mandovi river, causing large scale pollution.
The state’s Food and Drugs Authority have already sealed the restaurants on board the six offshore casino vessels as the operators had failed to procure licences from their department.
Ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls, the opposition has attacked the Congress-led coalition state government on the issue, accusing the chief minister’s office, the home minister and several bureaucrats, including former chief secretary J.P. Singh, of allegedly receiving kickbacks for issuing of licences and hasty clearances for the offshore casinos.
- Goa stops offshore casino operations ahead of court hearing - Mar 18, 2009
- Goa to appoint gaming commission to regulate casino gambling - Mar 19, 2009
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa government gets notices over sealing of casino vessels - Mar 28, 2009
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa casino operator moves court after relocation threat - Mar 13, 2009
- Goa orders closure of two offshore casinos - Jan 31, 2011
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- Be transparent on casino sealing, poll official tells Goa - Apr 01, 2009
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- Goa's offshore casinos should be 12 nautical miles from shore: expert - Mar 06, 2009
- Fate of 40 Goa mines to be decided Friday - Mar 03, 2011
- Goa casino operators move court after relocation orders (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Goa water unsafe for bathing and fishing - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: caravela, casino operators, casino vessels, chief secretary, goa casinos, goa district, goa government, goa state, hazardous wastes, home minister, j p singh, Lok Sabha, mandovi river, north goa, offshore casino, offshore casinos, opposition leaders, pollution control board, state pollution control board, untreated sewage