Three Mujib killers on death row seek clemency (Lead)January 9th, 2010 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 9 (IANS) Three of the five former Bangladesh Army officers sentenced to death for the 1975 murder of the country’s founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Saturday sought clemency from the president.
“Three of (them) have submitted mercy petitions,” a jail official said.
Bazlul Huda, Mohiuddin Ahmed and A.K.M. Mohiuddin sent their appeals to the jail authorities, reported ATN Bangla.
The Dhaka district and sessions judge Jan 3 sent the signed death warrants of the five convicts - Bazlul Huda, Mohiuddin Ahmed, Syed Faruque Rahman, Sultan Shahriyar Rashid Khan and A.K.M. Mohiuddin - to the Dhaka Central Jail.
The Supreme Court, in a long-awaited judgement Nov 19 last year, rejected appeals of the five convicted killers and upheld their death sentences.
Saturday was the last date to seek clemency from the president, Star Online reported.
The condemned men had seven days from the receipt of the death warrants to seek clemency, according to law.
The government led by Mujib’s daughter, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, has ignored an appeal by Amnesty International that the death sentences should be converted to life imprisonment.
- Three Mujib killers on death row seek clemency - Jan 09, 2010
- Bangladesh asks Canada to deport Mujib killer - Feb 21, 2011
- 1975 Dhaka killings: Government may appeal against accused - Jan 11, 2011
- Court issues death warrants for five Mujib killers - Jan 03, 2010
- Bangladesh SC upholds death sentence for Mujib's killers - Jan 27, 2010
- Don't execute Mujib killers, Amnesty tells Dhaka - Nov 22, 2009
- Five killers of Bangladesh's founding father hanged (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Four Mujib killers to seek president's pardon - Nov 22, 2009
- Death warrants issued for five Mujib killers (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Court to issue death warrants for Mujib killers - Dec 22, 2009
- Five killers of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman hanged (Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- Mujib killers don't deserve mercy: Bangladesh minister - Jan 12, 2010
- Mujib killers' review petitions dismissed - Jan 27, 2010
- Noose tightens around Mujib killers, review petitions dismissed (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Two Sheikh Mujib killers want death sentence commuted - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: army officers, central jail, clemency, convicts, death row, death sentences, death warrants, dhaka district, father sheikh, founding father, jail authorities, last date, life imprisonment, mercy petitions, minister sheikh hasina, mohiuddin ahmed, mujib, rashid khan, shahriyar, sheikh mujibur rahman