Three Iraqi candidates killed ahead of provincial pollJanuary 30th, 2009 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 30 (Xinhua) Three Iraqi candidates have been killed in different cities ahead of the upcoming provincial election, police sources said.Omar Farouk al-Ani, a Sunni candidate of the Iraqi Islamic party which belongs to the Iraqi Accordance Front, was killed by unknown gunmen Thursday night in western Baghdad, a police source said.
Unknown gunmen Thursday evening shot dead al-Ani in front of his home in Amiriya, west of Baghdad, and ran away.
Hazim Salim Ahmed, another Sunni candidate belonging to the Iraqi national unity list, was also killed Thursday night in Mosul, northern Iraq.
In a third incident Thursday, yet another candidate Abbas Farhan al-Azawi, was killed in Diyala Province north of Baghdad, a police source said.
The candidate was kidnapped with two other people in the morning, and their bodies were found Thursday evening, police said.
The landmark provincial council elections are due to be held Jan 31 in 14 out of 18 Iraqi provinces. The elections is the first vote in the country since 2005. Some 15 million Iraqis are being called to the polls to elect officials for 440 seats.
Despite relative security gains during the past 18 months, a series of brutal killings against Iraqi candidates and civilians has taken place.
Iraqi authorities announced Tuesday strict security measures in which airports and provincial highways were closed and borders shut.
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- US soldier, two civilians killed in Iraq violence - Jul 23, 2010
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- Two soldiers killed in Iraq violence - Aug 13, 2010
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 17 killed in two Iraq attacks - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: abbas, brutal killings, farhan, gunmen, iraqi authorities, islamic party, mosul, national unity, northern iraq, omar farouk, police source, police sources, provincial council elections, provincial election, provincial highways, relative security, salim, strict security measures, thursday night, xinhua