Three CPI-M workers held for Kerala leader’s murderMay 17th, 2012 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, May 17 (IANS) Three Communist Party of India-Marxist members were arrested Thursday for their involvement in the murder of former party leader T.P. Chandrasekharan, Kerala Police said. With this, the number of arrests in the case has reached 13, with five from the CPI-M.
The three party workers were held in Kannur district, police said.
A day ago, police had arrested CPI-M leader K.C. Ramachandran who allegedly admitted that he had Chandrasekharan murdered for “personal reasons”. He has been remanded in a 14-day custody.
Chandrasekharan, a 51-year-old Revolutionary Marxist Party leader, was murdered May 4 in Onchiyam, near here, while he was returning home on a motorcycle. He had quit the CPI-M in 2008.
Meanwhile, the ruling Congress party held a 12-hour sit-in in Badagara to protest the murder.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who was present at the protest site, said Chandrasekharan appeared to be more powerful now than when he was alive.
“Investigation is progressing in the right direction and this incident should be the last violent political activity in the state,” he said.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Mulapally Ramachandran said so far, only the “small fishes” had been caught for the murder.
State Congress chief Ramesh Chennithala asked CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat to speak on the issue.
Writer M. Mukundan said such incidents should never take place in a civilised society.
- Being targeted to tarnish party, says Kerala CPI-M leader - May 18, 2012
- Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held - Jun 07, 2012
- CPI-M leader held for Kerala murder - May 16, 2012
- CPI-M denies role in Chandrasekharan murder - Jun 09, 2012
- No compromise in probe into Left leader's murder: Chandy - May 10, 2012
- CPI-M leader, four others held for Chandrasekharan murder - May 15, 2012
- CPI-M getting jittery over Kerala murder probe: Congress - May 21, 2012
- One of CPI-M leader's killers arrested - May 23, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
- Kerala politician's killers identified: Police - May 09, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for ex-colleague's murder (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Will act if murder link proved: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- Former CPI-M leader killed in Kerala - May 05, 2012
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
Tags: chandrasekharan, chief minister, civilised society, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, congress party, district police, home affairs, kerala police, marxist party, mukundan, oommen chandy, party leader, protest site, ramachandran, ramesh chennithala, small fishes, state congress, union minister