Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UPJuly 28th, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 28 (IANS) Two days after a statue of former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati was vandalised here, three statues of Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar were damaged in Azamgarh district, police said Saturday.
Broken pieces of a statue were found in the morning in a field at Katat-Chakkatat village in Azamgarh, some 270 km from here, police said.
Two other Ambedkar statues were vandalised and thrown in the fields of the Nayi Palia and Jiyasath villages, said Superintendent of Police (SP) Mirza Manzar Beg.
Angry villagers and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) workers took to the streets and blocked a state highway for over four hours, protesting against the incidents.
Heavy police reinforcements were rushed to the spot and new statues of Ambedkar were installed, police said.
After this, the protestors withdrew their agitation and the traffic blockade was lifted.
Two people were arrested Friday for damaging Mayawati’s statue Lucknow. Amit Jani, president of the Uttar Pradesh Nav Nirman Sena, and his aide Rajendra were arrested Friday night from Haryana’s Gurgaon city, adjoining Delhi, by the Special Task Force of Uttar Pradesh Police.
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held - Jul 28, 2012
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Two more arrested for vandalising Mayawati's statue - Aug 28, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- Dalit Prerna Sthal lacks security: BSP - Jul 28, 2012
- No bail for three accused of vandalising Mayawati statue - Aug 07, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Mayawati warns against razing statues - Apr 14, 2012
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- Mayawati opens Ambedkar statues - Dec 06, 2010
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: agitation, angry villagers, b r ambedkar, chief minister, district police, friday night, gurgaon, haryana, lucknow, palia, police reinforcements, protestors, rajendra, sena, special task force, statues, superintendent, traffic blockade, uttar pradesh chief minister mayawati