Thousands protest against France education reformsMarch 13th, 2010 - 4:59 am ICT by IANS
Paris, March 13 (IANS) Thousands of students and teachers took to the streets here Friday to protest against French President Nicolas Sarkozy’s education reforms, Xinhua reported.
Demonstrations were also held in major cities like Strasbourg, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse and Nice after eight major teachers’ unions called for a countrywide protest.
Police said about 1,000 people participated in the demonstrations in Paris, but according to educational unions around 10,000 protesters took part.
Teachers from colleges, vocational and secondary schools participated.
The unions complain about job cuts and strict academic assessments in hiring teachers. Education Minister Luc Chatel recently proposed to recruit retirees and students to substitute absent teachers.
According to education ministry, 12.9 percent of teachers across the country stopped work Friday, but a high school teachers’ union said 50 percent of high school and college teachers participated.
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Tens of thousands march in Chile for better schools - Aug 29, 2012
- Three killed in French school shooting (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Thousands protest austerity plan in France - May 01, 2012
- Children in France may be forced to learn English - Jan 31, 2011
- National vocational education project launched in Haryana - Sep 03, 2012
- Nicolas Sarkozy to force French kids to learn English from age three - Jan 31, 2011
- France observes minute of silence for shooting victims - Mar 20, 2012
- French killings arrest denied (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- 50 Oz students suspended for 'rating female teachers online' - Apr 13, 2011
- Sarkozy cancels 'garden party' as austerity measure - Jun 24, 2010
- Assam joins Pearson Group for skill training in schools - Jul 21, 2012
- Sonia concerned over teacher absenteeism in rural schools (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Telangana protestors attack Hyderabad college - Oct 10, 2011
- Sarkozy is grandfather at 54 - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: college teachers, education minister, education ministry, education reforms, france education, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, high school teachers, major cities, nicolas sarkozy, paris march, president nicolas sarkozy, protesters, s education, secondary schools, teachers education, teachers union, teachers unions, thousands protest, xinhua