Thousands join Ranvir Sena chief’s funeralJune 2nd, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 2 (IANS) Thousands Saturday joined the funeral procession of Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh ‘Mukhiya’, whose killing in Bihar a day earlier sparked widespread violence.
Singh, in his 70s, was killed Friday morning in Ara town in Bhojpur district, triggering violence by supporters of Ranvir Sena, an outlawed upper caste vigilante group.
The procession began from Ara, about 60 km from here.
“Thousands more are waiting at different places to join his funeral,” a police official monitoring the procession told IANS.
Hundreds of vehicles formed part of the three-kilometre long convey. The slain man will be cremated at Banshghat in Patna.
As they walked, Singh’s supporters shouted slogans against the Bihar government and demanded death to the killers.
Another police officer said that his supporters were pouring into Patna from Gaya, Jehanabad, Aurangabad, Arwal, Bhojpur and Patna districts.
Elaborate security has been made in Patna to ensure peace, police said.
Deputy Inspector General Sunil Kumar said the Rapid Action Force, the Central Reserve Police Force and the Bihar Military Police Force have been deployed along the funeral route.
After Singh was killed Friday, his supporters attacked police vehicles and government offices in Ara.
The circuit house in the town was set on fire and nearly a dozen other vehicles, including a bus, were torched.
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Violent protests rock Bihar for third day - Jun 03, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Seven held in Ranvir Sena chief killing case (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Close aide of legislator arrested in Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief shot dead; Bihar put on alert (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Chargesheet filed over Ranvir Sena chief murder - Aug 28, 2012
- CBI probe recommended in Ranvir Sena chief killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Another arrest in Ranvir Sena chief murder case - Aug 31, 2012
- Bihar officials asked to explain Dalit hostel attack - Jul 25, 2012
- Two legislators linked to Ranvir Sena chief murder? - Jun 08, 2012
- Two Bihar legislators face social boycott - Jul 24, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief gets bail - Jul 08, 2011
- Bihar minister dares Nitish to sack him - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: bihar government, deputy inspector general, different places, friday morning, funeral procession, government offices, jehanabad, kilometre, military police, other vehicles, patna, police force, police official, police vehicles, ranvir sena, rapid action, reserve police, slogans, sunil kumar, upper caste