Thousands come, drawn to Ramdev more than his causeJune 3rd, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) For many the issue of black money stashed abroad was secondary as they thronged the Ramlila ground on a hot and humid Friday. From various corners of India, the crowds were there more for the man - yoga guru Baba Ramdev - than his mission.
Shouting slogans and singing bhajans, thousands of supporters started congregating at the sprawling ground that will be ground zero for Ramdev’s indefinite fast against corruption and black money from Saturday.
With colourful flags, banners, posters and paintings of Ramdev adorning every nook and cranny, many sat in front of a big dais, singing devotional songs. People continued to pour in every hour at the venue where the guru had addressed a gathering in the morning.
“I have been here since morning and the crowd is just swelling every hour. I had around a thousand registration forms with me in the morning and only a handful are left,” said Surendra Rana, the person in charge at one of the registration tables.
A walk around the ground reaffirmed Rana’s claim of summoning huge numbers to his cause.
The supporters seemed to be digging in their heels as many had brought along huge suitcases with enough clothes to last for a couple of weeks at least.
“We have just arrived from Madhya Pradesh and would be staying here till Baba needs us, even if it means months. We support Baba and the cause and want a clean country,” said Bhoop Singh, eating food with his wife.
Having travelled for days from many parts of the country, the journey was tiring for many. Adding to it was the unbearable Delhi heat, which made many rush to the makeshift bathrooms at one end of the ground for a quick shower as soon as they reached the venue.
“The summers are hot back home too but not as dry as Delhi. It is the noble cause that I am supporting which is egging me to fight,” said K. Ramanan from Andhra Pradesh.
Hundreds of fans, desert coolers, filtered drinking water and even a couple of ambulances are available 24×7 for the supporters, said a volunteer.
It is loyalty towards Ramdev and not what he is fighting against that seems to be attracting supporters. For many, the issue of black money and corruption were secondary.
“We are staunch devotees of Baba Ramdev and will support him in whatever he does. For us he is no less than god, he is a gyaani (wise man) and only he can cure this country,” said Naresh Besoya, who had come from the yoga guru’s home state Haryana with seven family members.
Agreed Senthil Menon from Kerala who confessed he was an alcoholic till a few years back. It was Ramdev’s “healing” yoga that helped him to get rid of the addiction.
“I was cured in just six months,” Menon said, adding it was important to support a ’saint’ working for such a cause.
Asked about the cause itself, he replied: “That’s important too.”
- Ramdev determined to fast; PM, Sonia mull ways to dissuade him (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2011
- We are here to battle corruption: Ramdev supporters - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev firm on fast; PM, Sonia favour more talks (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev adamant on fast, Anna upset with government (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Baba Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Mumbai dabbawalas, Vidarbha farmers back Ramdev - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev stable, say doctors - Jun 10, 2011
- Ramdev's fast has lost meaning: Congress - Jun 11, 2011
- 'Delhi Police can't be blamed for action on Baba Ramdev' - Jul 02, 2011
- Now, Ramdev caps, bands a hit at Ramlila ground - Aug 09, 2012
- Ramdev aide seeks inquiry into police action - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev begins anti-graft agitation at Ramlila Maidan - Aug 09, 2012
- Three-day meditation in Gujarat before Delhi agitation: Ramdev - Aug 05, 2012
- Court seeks police report on 'ink attack' on Ramdev (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Parties back black money issue inside, outside parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: black money, corruption, crowds, dais, desert coolers, devotional songs, drinking water, flags, ground zero, handful, june 3, New Delhi, nook, ramanan, registration forms, registration tables, slogans, suitcases, venue, yoga guru