Thousands cheer Queen’s Diamond Jubilee river pageantJune 4th, 2012 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
London, June 3 (IANS) The Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee River Pageant concluded Sunday as a world record-beating 1,000-strong flotilla passed under the Tower Bridge here with hundreds of thousands of people cheering along the Thames.
People crowded the Thames river’s shoreline to watch the pageant organised to celebrate the Queen’s 60 years on the throne.
The belfry, carrying The Royal Jubilee Bells was the first vessel, followed by the million-pound row barge Gloriana, the new Royal vessel, led by Olympic gold medallists Sir Matthew Pinsent and Sir Steve Redgrave, rowing with 16 others, Daily Mail reported.
A 41-gun salute was given from the Tower of London, the historic castle on the north bank of the Thames, while thousands of people cheered on the banks of the river despite the wet weather.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry watched Sunday’s proceedings from the Royal barge which formed part of a flotilla of 1,000 boats.
Just after 2 p.m. over a thousand vessels set off in wave after wave of tugs, steamers, pleasure cruisers, dragon boats and kayaks with the Queen travelling at its heart.
The river-borne event was one of the highlights of the four-day Diamond Jubilee weekend and spectators refused to let the weather dampen their spirits.
The flypast finale to the Thames River Pageant, however, had to be cancelled following inclement weather.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- British Sikh jailed for sex attack was guest at queen's programme - Jun 07, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Wills, Kate's world tour next year will help ease Queen's Diamond Jubilee workload - May 03, 2011
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - Apr 29, 2011
- Charles angry over Sikh sex convict on queen's barge - Jun 08, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- At 86, Queen works more than British MPs - Jun 03, 2012
- Middleton likes my songs: Cole - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: camilla duchess of cornwall, charles prince of wales, daily mail, diamond jubilee, dragon boats, duchess of cornwall, duke of cambridge, duke of edinburgh, jubilee river, matthew pinsent, olympic gold medallists, pleasure cruisers, prince charles prince of wales, prince philip the duke of edinburgh, queen elizabeth ii, royal barge, royal jubilee, sir steve redgrave, thousands cheer, william duke