Thousands attend Bal Apte’s funeralJuly 18th, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party leader, RSS ideologue and two-time Rajya Sabha member Bal Apte was cremated here Wednesday, with thousands attending the last rites.
A mammoth funeral procession wound its way from Apte’s home in Matunga to the Dadar crematorium in Shivaji Park.
The funeral was attended by BJP president Nitin Gadkari and party leaders L.K. Advani, Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Shahnawaz Hussain, Ravishankar Prasad and Sushil Modi besides those from Maharashtra.
Apte, 73, who was admitted to Hinduja Hospital July 6 following respiratory problems and a chronic lung ailment, breathed his last at his house.
A prominent lawyer and former additional advocate general of Maharashtra, Apte was elected twice to the Rajya Sabha, in 2000 and 2006.
He also served as the BJP vice president in 2002-10 and held various posts in the party and parliament. He was jailed during Indira Gandhi’s 1975-77 Emergency period.
- BJP ex-vice president Bal Apte dead - Jul 18, 2012
- Maharashtra readies for Rajya Sabha race - Mar 05, 2012
- Rajnath Singh meets RSS chief Bhagwat - Nov 11, 2009
- Marathi theatre actor Mohan Wagh dead - Mar 25, 2010
- Dissent grows in BJP over Rajya Sabha nomination - Mar 21, 2012
- BJP's Tarun appreciates PM's stand on Kashmir - Aug 06, 2010
- Name Mumbai station after Ambedkar, says Congress - Jul 07, 2011
- Mishra withdraws RS nomination amid rift in BJP (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Advani, senior BJP leaders attend Ved Prakash Goyal's funeral - Dec 18, 2008
- BJP not to vote for Mishra in Jharkhand (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Thackeray hits back at Ajit Pawar for letting off 'gas' - Jun 01, 2011
- 8 candidates in fray for 6 Rajya Sabha seats from Maharashtra - Mar 19, 2012
- Opposition not in mood to talk: Bansal (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Shiv Sena leader Madhukar Sarpotdar dead - Feb 20, 2010
- Thousands pay homage to dead NCP leader (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: apte, arun jaitley, chronic lung, crematorium, funeral procession, hinduja hospital, indira gandhi, l k advani, last rites, lung ailment, matunga, party leader, party leaders, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, ravishankar, respiratory problems, sabha member, shahnawaz, shivaji park