The commissars love their football, disavow ideologySeptember 2nd, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 2 (IANS) They may idolise Hugo Chavez. But as Venezuela takes on Argentina in this soccer crazy city, West Bengal’s Communist leaders, who ruled the state for 34 years, are for once not acting on ideological lines.
On Friday, Communist politicians here seemed more keen to watch good football than swear by their ideological ally Venezuela.
The huge public support for Argentina and its captain Lionel Messi may have also prompted the equally soccer loving leftists, particularly of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), to lean towards Argentina.
“Yes, we support Chavez’s Left liberal policies and his fight against imperialism. But Argentina is the land of Diego Maradona, who proudly sports a tattoo of Che Guevara on his body and is a great admirer of Fidel Castro,” said a CPI-M party leader, who did not wish to be named.
The CPI-M led Left Front’s 34 years of rule ended in West Bengal in May.
The match, to be played at the Yuva Bharati Krirangan, is one of the most high profile sports events to be staged in the subcontinent.
“My support is for good football game, not towards any team,” CPI-M state committee member Sujan Chakroborty told IANS.
CPI-M state committee member and former MP Shamik Lahiri said: “I will go to the stadium to watch the match. I am not supporting any team but I do want Messi to play well.”
Kolkata has been enveloped by Messi fever. Delirious fans are cheering the Argentine and its famous stars. The streets of Kolkata are adorned with Argentine flags and large posters of Messi and his mates.
“I will watch the game on TV. But I will support only good football, not any particular team,” Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) state secretary Kshiti Goswami said.
“I am a supporter of Brazil, so no question of supporting either of the teams,” Students Federation India (SFI) state secretary Kaustav Chatterjee said.
- All set for Messi magic Friday - Sep 01, 2011
- Brazil fans turning Argentines courtesy Messi-magic - Sep 02, 2011
- Messi says farewell to his Kolkata fans - Sep 04, 2011
- Ranbir to watch Messi in action in Kolkata - Aug 20, 2011
- Delirious Kolkata welcomes cheerful Messi - Sep 01, 2011
- Messi better than Beckham in most parts of games: Sabella - Sep 03, 2011
- Messi fever grips Dhaka - Sep 06, 2011
- Messi is extraordinary, he is great: Sabella - Sep 03, 2011
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Computer-shy CPI-M now logs on to Facebook - Dec 02, 2010
- It is a dream come true to coach Argentina: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- Strict watch to be kept on betting in Kolkata - Sep 02, 2011
- Higuain, di Maria reach Kolkata, countdown begins for Messi - Aug 31, 2011
- Kolkata celebrities lukewarm to Messi match - Aug 30, 2011
- A gastronomic treat for Messi and co. - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: che guevara, communist leaders, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, crazy city, diego maradona, famous stars, fidel castro, game on tv, goswami, hugo chavez, lahiri, large posters, liberal policies, lionel messi, revolutionary socialist party, state committee member, state secretary, west bengal, yuva bharati