Thatcher held secret meetings with Indian guruJanuary 29th, 2011 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 29 (IANS) Former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher met controversial Indian guru Chandraswami at the House of Commons in 1975, after he was recommended to her by then deputy high commissioner to Britain, Natwar Singh.Details of the meetings have been revealed by Singh, who was present when they took place, according to the Daily Telegraph.
In 1975, Singh was India’s deputy high commissioner, when Chandraswami arrived in London and “apparently demanded a meeting” with Thatcher.
The self-proclaimed mystic had already made a name for himself as a spiritual adviser to celebrities and political leaders including Nancy Reagan, Elizabeth Taylor and the Sultan of Brunei.
Thatcher agreed to meet Chandraswami, but insisted the session would only be for 10 minutes.
She was so “impressed” with his apparent powers that she agreed to his request to wear a “special red dress” and a battered talisman around her wrist to a second meeting.
Chandraswami arrived wearing an orange shawl, with a religious mark on his forehead, beads around his neck and carrying a staff in his right hand.
After introducing himself, he gave Thatcher five strips of paper and, with Singh’s help as translator, asked her to write a question on each.
She obliged and watched as Chandraswami closed his eyes and “went into a trance”.
He later asked Thatcher to open the paper balls one by one, and correctly told her the question written on each.
“Irritation gave way to subdued curiosity,” Singh said.
“By the fourth question, I thought, she began to consider Chandraswami a holy man indeed. Chandraswami was like a triumphant guru and took off his slippers and sat on the sofa in the lotus position.”
“I was appalled but Mrs. Thatcher seemed to approve. She asked more questions and, in each case, Chandraswami’s response overwhelmed her.”
He, however, cut short the meeting when he announced that the sun had set, meaning he was unable to continue.
- Iron Lady's Indian mystic guru who predicted she'd be Premier for 11yrs - Jan 29, 2011
- Apex court allows Chandraswami to pay Rs.25 lakh penalty - Jun 15, 2011
- Malay healer turns woman, her daughters into sex slaves - Mar 23, 2011
- How Margaret Thatcher helped catch the Yorkshire Ripper - Oct 03, 2010
- Parliament disrupted over black money (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Margaret Thatcher refused to meet Meryl Streep over Hollywood biopic - Feb 13, 2011
- Meryl Streep is 'perfect' for the role of Margaret Thatcher: Broadbent - Dec 30, 2010
- Man held for killing lover - Oct 18, 2011
- Punjab poll have something 'official' about it! - Jan 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa lorded over press conference - Jun 14, 2011
- This Iranian woman wants her Indian nationality! - May 14, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons to MCD councillor - Jun 15, 2012
- Conduct 100 surprise raids per month: Badal tells officials - Jan 05, 2011
- Agatha Sangma skips third event in 10 days to avoid media - Jun 30, 2012
- Margaret Thatcher's scorn of her own ministers revealed in historic notes - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: british prime minister, british prime minister margaret thatcher, chandraswami, daily telegraph, elizabeth taylor, holy man, house of commons, indian guru, london jan, lotus position, margaret thatcher, mrs thatcher, nancy reagan, natwar singh, paper balls, political leaders, secret meetings, shawl, spiritual adviser, sultan of brunei